Stockfish 9 is OUT!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
JJJ
Posts: 1343
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Stockfish 9 is OUT!

Post by JJJ » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:45 pm

Yeah, wait until the fastest compile get out !

CheckersGuy
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 pm

Re: Stockfish 9 is OUT!

Post by CheckersGuy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 pm

Any idea on how long it is going to take ?

jpqy
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:31 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Stockfish 9 is OUT!

Post by jpqy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:28 pm

You can try Ipman's compiles from Stockfish 9 32&64bit versions.

http://www.ipmanchess.yolasite.com/compiles.php

JP.

User avatar
Nordlandia
Posts: 2729
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Sortland, Norway

Re: Stockfish 9 is OUT!

Post by Nordlandia » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 pm

Is default contempt of 20 correct if facing SF8

SF 9 vs SF 8

User avatar
Eelco de Groot
Posts: 4278
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:40 am
Location: Groningen

Re: Stockfish 9 is OUT!

Post by Eelco de Groot » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:36 pm

Nordlandia wrote:Is default contempt of 20 correct if facing SF8

SF 9 vs SF 8
Sure (It should also not hurt against stronger than Stockfish 8 because there was no regression measured against master (playing wthout contempt), but keep in mind it is also used in analysis, unless you explicitly set it to zero (and Chessbase remembers the settings, which in the past could be a problem with Chessbase GUIs. I don't know how that is now.) CFish I'm sure has a different solution by now from Ronald (I have not checked) But the patches for Stockfish have not yet been decided on.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan

syzygy
Posts: 4891
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: Stockfish 9 is OUT!

Post by syzygy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:06 pm

Eelco de Groot wrote:CFish I'm sure has a different solution by now from Ronald (I have not checked)
Cfish has the same solution as Houdini (as far as I understand Houdini's solution).

In analysis mode, contempt is forced to zero unless the user has checked the "Analysis Contempt" option. If that option has been checked, contempt will be from white's point of view (so set it to a negative value to give black positive contempt).

In gameplay mode, contempt is for the side to move. "Analysis Contempt" is ignored.

Komodo has a similar but slightly different solution. Instead of "Analysis Contempt", it has "White Contempt". If my understanding is correct, the only difference is that White Contempt also forces contempt to be from white's point of view in gameplay mode.

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: Stockfish 9 is OUT!

Post by Ovyron » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:17 pm

syzygy wrote:In analysis mode, contempt is forced to zero unless the user has checked the "Analysis Contempt" option. If that option has been checked, contempt will be from white's point of view (so set it to a negative value to give black positive contempt).
In my experience, Houdini with "Analysis Contempt" box enabled doesn't default to white's point of view, it only does that if white has the advantage. If black has the advantage, then it'll shift to black's point of view. Whatever side has the advantage will have it inflated, and will have Houdini trying to play drawish from the side with the disadvantage.

You can check it in equal positions near zero, where Houdini will bump the scores to some 0.09 which is the Contempt, but you'll see some -0.09 scores if it has shifted its Contempt for the black side.

(this is with Contempt=2)

kk
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:23 am
Location: UK

Re: Stockfish 9 is OUT!

Post by kk » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:29 am

Is there a Stockfish 9 for Mac available yet? :-)

User avatar
Kotlov
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:23 pm
Location: Russia

Re: Stockfish 9 is OUT!

Post by Kotlov » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:29 am

Image

Michel
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Stockfish 9 is OUT!

Post by Michel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:48 am

syzygy wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:CFish I'm sure has a different solution by now from Ronald (I have not checked)
Cfish has the same solution as Houdini (as far as I understand Houdini's solution).

In analysis mode, contempt is forced to zero unless the user has checked the "Analysis Contempt" option. If that option has been checked, contempt will be from white's point of view (so set it to a negative value to give black positive contempt).

In gameplay mode, contempt is for the side to move. "Analysis Contempt" is ignored.

Komodo has a similar but slightly different solution. Instead of "Analysis Contempt", it has "White Contempt". If my understanding is correct, the only difference is that White Contempt also forces contempt to be from white's point of view in gameplay mode.
A practical disadvantage of this solution is that the user has to set "Analysis Contempt" to negative if he/she wants to analyze with positive contempt from black's point of view.

The only solution seems to be standardization so that the GUI can set the appropriate contempt value. For this reason it would be nice if SF was on board...
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.

Post Reply