Stockfish 9

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Re: Don't feed the Troll, Please

Post by Paloma »

Hello all,
don't feed the Troll,

this Thread is about Stockfish 9
Ovyron

Re: Stockfish 9

Post by Ovyron »

MikeB wrote:👊 👍 Thank you Marco, Gary, Joona and of course, the original author of Glaurung, Tord! The team really ended the last 3 months on a high note, with some really nice patches for ELO gain and functionality with great collaboration being demonstrated and displayed. Stockfish is being well maintained and is in good hands. 😊
+1 👊 👍

Yes! Let's not forget the codebase from Tord Romstad's work is what makes all this possible! :)

In other news, I was excited to click this 9 page thread and read all the discussion, quite disappointed to see so many people arguing with someone that thinks a +45 elo release isn't worthy!
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

Paloma wrote:Hello all,
don't feed the Troll,

I have a request, please, never write again that someone is Troll. I understand that you lack personal culture, it shows.
Paloma

Post by Paloma »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
Paloma wrote:Hello all,
don't feed the Troll,

I have a request, please, never write again that someone is Troll. I understand that you lack personal culture, it shows.
why do you feel addressed? Like you said, *it shows* :evil:

IGNORED :D
Paloma

Post by Paloma »

+1
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

That depends on the context of use. The worth of default contempt in an analysis context may actually be negative.

I bet the playchess engine game fanboys really love the elo jump though, even when they are well below top tier 'competitors' and should actually disable it since they all use the same engine anyway ;)
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Ron Langeveld wrote:That depends on the context of use. The worth of default contempt in an analysis context may actually be negative.

I bet the playchess engine game fanboys really love the elo jump though, even when they are well below top tier 'competitors' and should actually disable it since they all use the same engine anyway ;)
It still boggles my mind why permanent brain can't be activated in playchess engine matches.
foolnotion

Post by foolnotion »

Hi,

Could you share the compiler options for the official builds? I've compiled several binaries myself but none are as fast as the official release.

Here's a summary of my benchmarks (stockfish vs cfish vs asmfish)
https://i.imgur.com/FLjHVmy.png

pgo = profile optimized builds
compiler versions: clang-5.0, gcc-7.2

the values represent the average over 10 benchmark runs and the error bars represent the standard deviations

bench parameters: hash 1024mb threads 1/4 depth 20
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

foolnotion wrote:Here's a summary of my benchmarks (stockfish vs cfish vs asmfish)
https://i.imgur.com/FLjHVmy.png

pgo = profile optimized builds
compiler versions: clang-5.0, gcc-7.2
Did you have a problem compiling cfish with pgo? (Or is "pgo" just missing from the name?)

It surprises me that clang generates faster code for you (at least with SF).
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Somehow failed to run under my Linux box. Mint Linux.