free Aquarium

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

syzygy

Re: free Aquarium

Post by syzygy »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:
syzygy wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote:My favorites engines: Stockfish_savehash version by Daniel Jose, Sugar by Marco Zerebinati, Asmfish by Mike Byrne, McBrain by Mike Byrne.
I spotted a typo there that needs correction.

asmFish is not by Mike Byrne. (He has never claimed to be the author, but unfortunately some people did pick up that idea.)

And of course Sugar and McBrain are 99% Stockfish (just like asmFish is, except that asmFish embodies what would normally have been a few centuries of manual labour by a person using the nickname Mohammed Li).
Of course, you're right. But it was a too long process to write "SF derivate, bt Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba..." etc for any engine. Asmfish is an AsmfishW derivate which is a SF assembly version, 99% by Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba, ....................... Mohammed Li, Mike Byrne! LOL
No, asmFish is definitely not by Mike Byrne. Why do you think otherwise?
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

syzygy wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote:
syzygy wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote:My favorites engines: Stockfish_savehash version by Daniel Jose, Sugar by Marco Zerebinati, Asmfish by Mike Byrne, McBrain by Mike Byrne.
I spotted a typo there that needs correction.

asmFish is not by Mike Byrne. (He has never claimed to be the author, but unfortunately some people did pick up that idea.)

And of course Sugar and McBrain are 99% Stockfish (just like asmFish is, except that asmFish embodies what would normally have been a few centuries of manual labour by a person using the nickname Mohammed Li).
Of course, you're right. But it was a too long process to write "SF derivate, bt Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba..." etc for any engine. Asmfish is an AsmfishW derivate which is a SF assembly version, 99% by Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba, ....................... Mohammed Li, Mike Byrne! LOL
Ronald, you forget a "W". It's AsmFishW by Mohammed Li (and of course it's an assembly version of SF by Tord Romstad, Marco.......).

Asmfish (without the "W") is an asmFishW update by Mike Byrne.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
mroh

Post by mroh »

Lets talk about these engines a bit later...

Did you try to connect an engine to freeAquarium?
Shall I make you an account, so you can write in the tree?
Rodolfo Leoni wrote: My analyses: deep, thousands positions scored trees from opening to late middlegame with my corrsepondence chess.
In which format?
Aquarium/IDeA?
Rodolfo Leoni wrote: BTW, I'm playing two games vs. Ulysses, maybe it's better he'll not look at my analyses...... :lol:
This is something I thought about a lot, because it might make the whole project in its current form useless.

Currently, everyone sees every eval and the resulting tree of every engine.
The only things that are personalized are the opening book, comments and the "humaneval" column.

In the nature of (competitive) chess is something like "I see something that you dont see" and thats contrary to the free Aquariums current "I share the analysis" approach.
For me, that "I share the result" approach is more like "finding the truth together", but if one is in a game this is a problem, of course.

I see two ways to solve this:
- make a standalone version. (with all the technical implications)
or
- give every user his own trees. (or something in between like a "main tree" and a (inherited) user tree etc)

and I am still undecided which route to take... ^^
mroh

Post by mroh »

gbtami wrote: Put it on github/bitbucket then, please!
most of the frontend code already is, in form of the tourney broadcaster, also the (modified) libs I use, see the docs.

I still dont want to release the backend code, because its simply not ready/to ugly and to many design decisions are needed...
But it will be there, one day! ^^
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

I didn't try to connect any engine, yet.
You can make an account, so I'll paste analyses of completed games.

I used both Arena and a very old demo of Aquarium (more than 10 years ago). This demo has some limitations (no IDeA, and engines can think max 5 secs in tournament), but it's much more comfortable than Arena. I don't know if it's compatible.

And about your doubts, private or public books, it's not a problem to give analyses of completed games. I wouldn't paste them games still in progress. It's matter of being correct too, because someone could make additions and I could have an advantage over my opponents in that case. :wink:
This is another reason why I can't use it for analyses.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

mroh wrote:
gbtami wrote: Put it on github/bitbucket then, please!
most of the frontend code already is, in form of the tourney broadcaster, also the (modified) libs I use, see the docs.

I still dont want to release the backend code, because its simply not ready/to ugly and to many design decisions are needed...
But it will be there, one day! ^^
Cool, thx!
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:
Ronald, you forget a "W". It's AsmFishW by Mohammed Li (and of course it's an assembly version of SF by Tord Romstad, Marco.......).

OK, so you really have no idea what you are talking about. And you could not care less.
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

syzygy wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote:

OK, so you really have no idea what you are talking about. And you could not care less.
All of that look as a personal attack without any reason. I was specifying what engines I use because of the need to check compatibility with this new Aquarium online and about asmfish I needed to tell I sometimes use the recent update by Michael Byrne. It was matter to be precise in relation of the online book builder, nothing else. If it's a problem for you, it's only your problem.

I hope YOU really have the idea of what I was talking about. Not sure, tough.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:I needed to tell I sometimes use the recent update by Michael Byrne.
The update was not by him... :roll:
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Asmfish has hit the skids.
Cfish is fastest now. And I don't mean maybe.
Too bad.
I blame the switch to a new assembler system.
I also suspect bug injection.
In any case, the latest Asmfish builds are inferior to SF, let alone CFish.
See for yourselves:
http://www.sp-cc.de/
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.