McBrain 9 release ...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

Re: McBrain 9 release ...

Post by MikeB »

Ovyron wrote:
MikeB wrote:No need to modify the source - you can get that by using current McBrain and just using the multipv option. Tactical displays only the main line
No, they're not equivalent, I can do many things with the Tactical setting that I can't do with MultiPV.

With Tactical I can set the engine to make some move on the board at some depth, and it will be played saving me the time to make it on the board, while MultiPV would only analyze infinitely.

With Tactical I can use "Shout out" in my GUI and have it play against itself till the end of the game, and have the GUI store all the analysis of all positions.

MultiPV can't do that, but Tactical is making me miss a lot of info in the positions for the analyzed moves that weren't played that would have appeared on the GUI.

Again, I'm asking for help about how to make Tactical behave in a way it'd have behaved originally for analysis, as it makes no sense to use Tactical to find the best move and then switch to MultiPV or use "go searchmoves" to look for alternatives, when Tactical could have showed them on the first place.

Please, all I'm asking for is pointers about how to introduce these changes myself.
Take look a search.cpp and search for tactical , there are only 7 matches. But it may not work as you desire and you will see why when you at the code.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

MikeB wrote:Take look a search.cpp and search for tactical , there are only 7 matches. But it may not work as you desire and you will see why when you at the code.
Okay, thanks.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I did it! Changing this code:

Code: Select all

if (tactical)
	{
	  temp = multiPV;
          multiPV = 1;
	}
For this:

Code: Select all

if (tactical)
	{
	  temp = multiPV;
	}
Makes Tactical behave like I wanted showing scores of all moves analyzed! I have the feeling this is going to be powerful for my analysis methods, awesome!

Thanks Michael for the pointers and thanks again for all your work on McBrain, good luck on the future! :D
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.