Question to Aart Bik

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

PeterO

Re: Question to Aart Bik

Post by PeterO »

Hi Aart,

thank you su much for your answer. Its my dream to run Rodent III with different personalities/playing styles/elo strengh on my wooden board!
I need a little more help. When I open the Rodent III file. I can see a „basic.ini“, rodentIII-ARMV7-nopie-per, rodentIII-Armv7-per, rodentarm64v8-per. A file „books“ and a file „personalities“. In the file „personalities“ there are subfiles (club, famous, fun, league, masters, school). These subfiles contain the different persononalities as txt (mark.txt, sam.txt ...).

1. What do I have to do when I want to play against mark ?
2. Where can I select the select the personality - mark?

Thank you

Peter
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Hi Aart,

I found out that I can simply choose instal engine from SD->rodent III file -> <personalities> -> <club> -> mark.txt

I dont need to write a ini file or something.

I can choose every personality - like a engine. The only difference: when I play a personality - I dont see the name of the personality on the screen :(

Peter
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Hi Aart,

next week I get my chess link modul and can use your app with my wooden board!

Is it possible to enter my name and elo strengh? I would like to see my name on the screen - playing the engine. Its also nice to see my name + the engine‘s name on the pgn file.

Peter
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

PeterO wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:47 am next week I get my chess link modul and can use your app with my wooden board!
Very exciting. Let me know how it goes. I really like the board too!
PeterO wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:47 am Is it possible to enter my name and elo strengh? I would like to see my name on the screen - playing the engine. Its also nice to see my name + the engine‘s name on the pgn file.
Sure, I can add something like that.
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Hi Aart,

I tried to connect your app with the CGE Board - but it doesnt work.😱
I activated bluetooth on my android phone (Huawei lyo-l21) - android 5.1.
I paired my phone with the chess board.

When I go to your app - connect to eboard - DGT USB is aktivated - I cannot activate MILLENIUM BLUETOOTH 😭😭
Can you help me?

Peter
abik

Post by abik »

PeterO wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:13 am Can you help me?
Not to worry Peter. Android 5.1 is still pre api 23 that introduced the individual permission model, so you will need an APK that has a few extra permissions to enable bluetooth. If you PM or email me your email that is used for Google Play, I will add you to the alpha list so that you get such a version with more permissions. It will appear as regular download on Google Play. You can always opt-in or opt-out later.
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Thank you Aart,

I have sent you my mail via pm - will I see it like an update - or do I have to unistall the app and install it once again?

Peter
abik

Post by abik »

PeterO wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:19 pm I have sent you my mail via pm - will I see it like an update - or do I have to unistall the app and install it once again?
No need to uninstall. It will just look like an update.
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

For general questions cf. these websites here:
http://computerchess.com/chesslink/ (German) - http://computerchess.com/en/ (English)

The company Millenium 2000 GmbH (email: support@millennium2000.de) told me in German language that
1) chess computer Chess Genius Exclusive and ChessGenius Classic (PC version for Windows) are similar but not identical
2) for installation UCI engines the mentioned above Chess Link and Chess App for Android are required
3) for online play Chess Link + suitable App (in development stage) are necessary
4) no endgame tablebases support - in contrast to Ken Thompson´s egtbs by the Classic edition

The website https://schach.computer/interview-mit-o ... hess-link/ contains an extension module "The King" e.g. https://www.schachversand.de/de/millenn ... ement.html in combination with the software Chess for Android + HIARCS ; iOS is supported; online play: probabbly Lichess and ICC; company is therefore in contact with Stefan Meyer Kahlen and Mark Uniacke too

Norbert
abik

Post by abik »

This is perhaps also a good time to give some updates on my activities. Around the holidays I am finally getting some spare time to implement new features for Chess for Android that were long overdue. I am actively "in the zone" working on:
  • The ability to offer a draw or resign during an ongoing game. Since the UCI protocol does not provide this feature, the GUI will accept the draw simply based on past evaluations of the position.
  • The ability to change the users name, ELO rating, and Event Name, which will appear in the header for all user games that are saved in PGN format to the SD card.
  • The ability to connect to FICS, the free internet service. This is of course the most work and currently still in prototype stage. The first release will probably start simple by just allowing to watch demo games.