LCZero Elo

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How high will LCZero go in Elo in the next 12 months.

Poll ended at Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:12 pm

2000 or less.
15%
Between 2001 and 3400.
67%
Over 3400
8%
No guess. I dont understand the project.
10%

Total votes: 39

peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Re: LCZero Elo

Post by peter »

Hi Jacob!
MonteCarlo wrote:Give me any engine in the 2300s-2400s on CCRL (really could go much higher than that, even), have them play without an opening book at a fast time control, and I'd expect to find lines they're losing by move 15 :)
Well, maybe, but the difference is, a "conventional" engine can and may use a book, Leela at the moment "must not" to stay fully "Zero".

Now we could compare bookless Leela to any engine playing with book, couldn't we?

Why then shouldn't we let any engine play with anti- LeelaChessZero- book against LCZ?

It would be another one legal comparison I'd say Celo- wise, just one more way to count (Computer-) "Elo" (Celo) from engine- engine- matches.
:)

Humans neither do play without "books", do they?

So a human player should be allowed to use his personal preparation against bookless LCZ too of course.

If it continues to play not only such single poor lines but keeps playing them so determinately, real Elo are still another one measurement than bookless Celo against other bookless engines is, that's my point.
Peter.
MonteCarlo

Post by MonteCarlo »

I didn't say anything about whether something should or should not be allowed, so all that's a bit irrelevant; anyone is of course free to play matches in whatever conditions they'd like :)

My point was that it is unsurprising that a 2300ish CCRL engine at fast time controls plays some bad opening lines on its own, nothing more, nothing less :)

Also, it's only the case that LC0 can't use a book in self-play and training to stay zero; nothing at all other than dev time stops from them adding opening book support as a UCI option for play outside the training pipeline.
peter

Post by peter »

MonteCarlo wrote:I didn't say anything about whether something should or should not be allowed, so all that's a bit irrelevant; anyone is of course free to play matches in whatever conditions they'd like :)
Of course, and the bookless match isn't the "normal" one in "normal" rating list- matches, is it?
MonteCarlo wrote: My point was that it is unsurprising that an unassisted 2300ish CCRL engine at fast time controls plays some bad opening lines, nothing more, nothing less :)
And that's the reason, why weak engines even more then strong ones are "normally" used with using books.
MonteCarlo wrote: Also, it's only the case that LC0 can't use a book in self-play and training to stay zero; nothing at all other than dev time stops from them adding opening book support as a UCI option for play outside the training pipeline.
So if it isn't incompatible with your definition of pure self-learning AI, we have the same povs here anyhow.

Mine would go even further and i'd let it learn against other engines playing with books too and from opening- databases directly, the way Matthew Lai did with Giraffe.
Peter.
MonteCarlo

Post by MonteCarlo »

In normal rating lists, a common book is used to generate diverse starting positions; engines don't use proprietary own books or anything like that.

LC0 can do that just fine, so I'm not sure what the issue is there :)

Again, at any rate, literally the only point of my post was that it's completely unsurprising for an engine of that strength to misplay positions badly, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not sure how all these tangents started :)
peter

Post by peter »

MonteCarlo wrote: I'm not sure how all these tangents started :)
Even better then, so I don't have to say forget it at all
Peter.