Run LC Zero in LittleBlitzerGUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jhellis3

Re: Run LC Zero in LittleBlitzerGUI

Post by jhellis3 »

The amount of memory for hashing is the resource
Exactly like the presence of a GPU ;).
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

jhellis3 wrote:
The amount of memory for hashing is the resource
Exactly like the presence of a GPU ;).
For a rating list where multiple people contribute games, the GPU would be a complication in determining a reference point.

However, in the case of a single tester/computer, I fail to see why the GPU should be treated as a different sort of resource than the hash.
gladius
Full name: Gary Linscott

Post by gladius »

pohl4711 wrote:
jhellis3 wrote:
But using the GPU would be not fair for the opponent engines, which are running on CPU only, of course.
Lol.
What is so funny about the fact, that a valid testing and rating means, each engine should have access on the same resources?!?
LC Zero can use the GPU for its learning and improving. But not in gameplay for testing and rating.
GPU is not really optional for LCZero if you want it at its best. CPU is supported of course, but it’s like running the 32 bit version of an engine on a 64 bit processor - a big limitation.

I know it’s a new thing for chess, but I think we will have to adjust :).
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

gladius wrote:
pohl4711 wrote:
jhellis3 wrote:
But using the GPU would be not fair for the opponent engines, which are running on CPU only, of course.
Lol.
What is so funny about the fact, that a valid testing and rating means, each engine should have access on the same resources?!?
LC Zero can use the GPU for its learning and improving. But not in gameplay for testing and rating.
GPU is not really optional for LCZero if you want it at its best. CPU is supported of course, but it’s like running the 32 bit version of an engine on a 64 bit processor - a big limitation.

OK, but a lot of tests (for ratinglists, too) are done with running multiple games parallel on one machine. If Leela should use GPU, too, could that lead to problems? Or is the GPU-power splitted to several Leelas on one machine???
Would be helpful, if you point this out. Thanx in advance.
gladius
Full name: Gary Linscott

Post by gladius »

pohl4711 wrote:
gladius wrote:
pohl4711 wrote:
jhellis3 wrote:
Lol.

OK, but a lot of tests (for ratinglists, too) are done with running multiple games parallel on one machine. If Leela should use GPU, too, could that lead to problems? Or is the GPU-power splitted to several Leelas on one machine???
Would be helpful, if you point this out. Thanx in advance.
Great point - the GPU is a shared resource, but even a very powerful GPU can only have 2 or so instances of LCZero running at the same time. Otherwise it will just wait until the other instance finishes, so it will run quite a bit slower.

It's tricky, but testing LCZero on one cpu is not representative of it's strength on a good GPU.