Page 1 of 6

LCZero is using my cores, not my GPU.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:28 pm
by Dann Corbit
How can I tell LCZero to use my GPU and not my cores.
I use that machine for analyzing chess positions and I do not want it to use my CPUs.
Is there a command line flag or something to tell it to use the GPU?

Re: LCZero is using my cores, not my GPU.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:33 pm
by AdminX
What I did was create two different subdirectories inside the main LCZero directory. One called GPU and the other called CPU.

Re: LCZero is using my cores, not my GPU.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:45 pm
by FWCC
There are two files that you can use I have discovered one is GPU the other is CPU I think they give you two to have the option on which one to use when you go to the assets page you can just select CPU and unpack that. Don't forget to run the client file first. I'm no expert but when you go to this page https://github.com/glinscott/leela-ches ... s/tag/v0.7
Pick CPU. Not sure if we must have both files.

Re: LCZero is using my cores, not my GPU.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:48 pm
by AdminX
FWCC wrote:There are two files that you can use I have discovered one is GPU the other is CPU I think they give you two to have the option on which one to use when you go to the assets page you can just select CPU and unpack that. Don't forget to run the client file first. I'm no expert but when you go to this page https://github.com/glinscott/leela-ches ... s/tag/v0.7
Pick CPU. Not sure if we must have both files.
You don't need both, if you have a good GPU then I would go with GPU otherwise CPU.

Re: LCZero is using my cores, not my GPU.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:07 pm
by Robert Flesher
AdminX wrote:What I did was create two different subdirectories inside the main LCZero directory. One called GPU and the other called CPU.

I cannot get the damned thing running!

Re: LCZero is using my cores, not my GPU.

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:23 pm
by Dann Corbit
AdminX wrote:
FWCC wrote:There are two files that you can use I have discovered one is GPU the other is CPU I think they give you two to have the option on which one to use when you go to the assets page you can just select CPU and unpack that. Don't forget to run the client file first. I'm no expert but when you go to this page https://github.com/glinscott/leela-ches ... s/tag/v0.7
Pick CPU. Not sure if we must have both files.
You don't need both, if you have a good GPU then I would go with GPU otherwise CPU.
That is the option that I want.

My GPU is 2 TF, about 100 times more powerful than my CPUs on that machine anyway.

And besides, I want to use the CPUs for my own purpose.

Re: LCZero is using my cores, not my GPU.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:40 am
by Milton
I am getting a new computer around May 3 (a Dell Alien Area 51) and I would like to participate in this project.
Based on this configuration, would it be best for me to download the GPU file or the CPU file?

Intel® Core™ i9 7980XE
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

Re: LCZero is using my cores, not my GPU.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:21 am
by Laskos
Milton wrote:I am getting a new computer around May 3 (a Dell Alien Area 51) and I would like to participate in this project.
Based on this configuration, would it be best for me to download the GPU file or the CPU file?

Intel® Core™ i9 7980XE
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz
I am not that knowledgeable, but estimates on NPS to depth 26 and higher on initial position are for non-OC CPU at 3.4 GHz (with Turbo Boost on all cores) about 3.5-4knps, for non-OC GPU maybe 4knps. CPU probably can be overclocked easily to 4.0 or 4.2 GHz. Hard to say, and I am not sure if the performance on 18 threads is not hurt a bit compared to NPS shown. Anyway, you will have to check both.

Re: LCZero is using my cores, not my GPU.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:33 am
by kasinp
Milton wrote:I am getting a new computer around May 3 (a Dell Alien Area 51) and I would like to participate in this project.
Based on this configuration, would it be best for me to download the GPU file or the CPU file?

Intel® Core™ i9 7980XE
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz
I would say GPU hands down. In my case a 1080 ti outperforms the CPU version running on a 14-core Xeon at 3.00GHz. Seems it really prefers the GPU architecture.
PK

Re: LCZero is using my cores, not my GPU.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:41 am
by kasinp
kasinp wrote:
Milton wrote:I am getting a new computer around May 3 (a Dell Alien Area 51) and I would like to participate in this project.
Based on this configuration, would it be best for me to download the GPU file or the CPU file?

Intel® Core™ i9 7980XE
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz
I would say GPU hands down. In my case a 1080 ti outperforms the CPU version running on a 14-core Xeon at 3.00GHz. Seems it really prefers the GPU architecture.
PK
I should rephrase: the performance will be close, but the GPU will achieve it without breaking sweat (it will never exceed 80% utilization), in my case it doesn't even go above silent mode. OTOH, the i9 will behave like a decent space heater to achieve the similar level of play. In that sense I consider the GPU to be a hands-down better option.

PK