2 open projects

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

stockfish vs lczero

Poll ended at Fri May 04, 2018 1:20 am

lczero will attract more ppl, leaving the stockfish project to die
5%
lczero will saturate so stockfish will continue to prevail
8%
both projects will continue to be supported without to hurt each other
87%

Total votes: 38

stavros

2 open projects

Post by stavros »

lets predict the future:
Graham Banks

Re: 2 open projects

Post by Graham Banks »

lczero will attract more ppl, leaving the stockfish project with fewer helping out, but without dying.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Graham Banks wrote:lczero will attract more ppl, leaving the stockfish project with fewer helping out, but without dying.
Agreed.

When LZZero catches SF in terms of strength, the superior playing style and comparable strength will leave only the diehard Stockfish heads to continue that particular work.

That's my feeling anyway.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I am really amazed how far people are jumping to conclusions.

Does LC0 on high-end GPU currently beat GNU Chess 5 on a quad CPU? (GNU Chess is over 700 ELO below Stockfish)? I am not clear about that but based on recent results I doubt it.

--Jon
Milos

Post by Milos »

jdart wrote:I am really amazed how far people are jumping to conclusions.

Does LC0 on high-end GPU currently beat GNU Chess 5 on a quad CPU? (GNU Chess is over 700 ELO below Stockfish)? I am not clear about that but based on recent results I doubt it.

--Jon
LC0 on high-end GPU with 1s/move can't even beat SF fixed depth 10.
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

I personally, wasn't assuming that my prediction would happen tomorrow.

Even if it took ten years, I believe my prediction (and Graham's) would be most likely.

LCZero despite being weak currently, is as far as I can see, the biggest change in computer chess since Rybka 1.0 (plz correct me if I'm wrong), so even if it takes a decade, wouldn't it be realistic to predict that one day it - or some entity much like it - will be dominant?

I believe this poll was about the preferences of computer chess enthusiasts, if/when this outcome becomes a reality.

To me that's not jumping to conclusions.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

They need totally different resources.

LCZero needs GPUs

Stockfish needs CPUs
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

BrendanJNorman wrote:

Even if it took ten years, I believe my prediction (and Graham's) would be most likely.

LCZero despite being weak currently, is as far as I can see, the biggest change in computer chess since Rybka 1.0 (plz correct me if I'm wrong), so even if it takes a decade, wouldn't it be realistic to predict that one day it - or some entity much like it - will be dominant?

I believe this poll was about the preferences of computer chess enthusiasts, if/when this outcome becomes a reality.

Frankly ten years from now stockfish would be so disgustingly strong that no one would really care about lc zero.
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
Frankly ten years from now stockfish would be so disgustingly strong that no one would really care about lc zero.
Now that's jumping to conclusions. :lol:

Someone remind me which was the strongest engine in 2008?

Ten years changes a lot and since the application of AI to strategy games has been growing exponentially in recent years (especially compared to 2008), predicting that SF will still be dominant in another ten years is pretty optimistic.

I could be wrong, but common sense suggests otherwise.

Will be fun to watch either way.
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
BrendanJNorman wrote:

In ten years engines like stockfish won't exist anymore and only engine like alpha zero leela zero will dominate because it is a better way to reach elo.

Self learning is future. Many program has shown that already.