2 open projects

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

stockfish vs lczero

Poll ended at Fri May 04, 2018 1:20 am

lczero will attract more ppl, leaving the stockfish project to die
5%
lczero will saturate so stockfish will continue to prevail
8%
both projects will continue to be supported without to hurt each other
87%

Total votes: 38

jp

Re: 2 open projects

Post by jp »

mirek wrote:... I wonder by how much can the NN be increased before the the decrease in nps will cause overall negative elo gain. Even if one could run every NN in constant time (independent of NN size) there is probably diminishing elo gain by doubling the NN size, so there will be some finite limit even for infinite sum of NN doublings.

I am also wondering if there are any other NN architectures that are being considered that could go beyond what just scaling of current architecture can achieve.
Yes, good questions. I think the first task is to work up to & establish a benchmark with a 20x256 NN, because right now we don't really know what that benchmark (true chess strength) is.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

MonteCarlo wrote: Silver said in that keynote talk that they did multiple runs, and I'm pretty sure they didn't publish the results of a run where they had the sorts of bugs the Leela project has had so far :)

There's very little point idly speculating about what can and can't be achieved by the project.

Time will tell.
Are you referring to the paper, or is there a talk you can link to?
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Albert Silver wrote:
MonteCarlo wrote: Silver said in that keynote talk that they did multiple runs, and I'm pretty sure they didn't publish the results of a run where they had the sorts of bugs the Leela project has had so far :)

There's very little point idly speculating about what can and can't be achieved by the project.

Time will tell.
Probably this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wujy7OzvdJk
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

syzygy wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Time will tell.
Probably this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wujy7OzvdJk
Thanks!
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."