lczero v0.8 does not run in Fritz 16

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

yanquis1972

Re: lczero v0.8 does not run in Fritz 16

Post by yanquis1972 »

maybe worth mentioning, all 3 are flagged by windows smartscreen; i'll see if i can disable AV (even tho after i give permission to run it's not notifying me of any threats or measures taken)
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

yanquis1972 wrote:sorry to turn this into a tech support 101 thread, but i'm having issues with the leela & polyglot .exe's opening a command prompt for a flash & promptly closing it. only thing i know to do is run as administrator, which just repeats the problem...anyone know what might be the issue?
Run what as Administrator? You need to install Polyglot as the UCI engine with both it and the .ini file in the same folder as LCZero.exe
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

ahh, thanks. wasn't familiar with it, i'll give that a shot.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Another general bug, --noponder option is removed and -p to limit playouts can't work without --noponder, so basically -p option is also non-functional.
It remains only -v which is not the same.
Hai

Post by Hai »

Use the aquarium 2018 gui.
It works with lczero v0.7 and v0.8.
FWCC

Post by FWCC »

I thought with version 8 that we did not have to use an adapter with it I have to use an adapter and I have to run 7-Zip in administrator mode is there a workaround? Talking about Fritz 16
FWCC

Post by FWCC »

Can we go to Playchess.com with Aquarium
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Albert Silver wrote:
pohl4711 wrote:Lczero 0.8 (CPU and GPU) does not run in Fritz 16 (not possible to create an UCI-engine). Not with or without inBetween-adapter. v0.7 runs in Fritz 16, but since the networks are 15x192, v0.7 only works in Fritz 16, when inBetween-adapter is used.
In Fritz 13 v0.7 and v0.8 are working without any problems and without inBetween-adapter.
Hi Stefan,

I had a similar issue in Fritz 16, though not in Komodo 11 or Houdini 6 interface. To solve this, I used Polyglot.

http://hgm.nubati.net/polyglot.exe

And used the following in the Polyglot.ini file:

[PolyGlot]
EngineCommand=lczero.exe -t3 --uci
EngineDir=.
Log=true
LogFile=polyglot.log
ShowTbHits=false
Book=false
[Engine]
Hash=1024
SyzygyPath=

Please note that this is with the GPU version of v0.8 and tuned for -t3 as I use a GTX1060. Feel free to modify that parameter.

Place both Polyglot.exe and Polyglot.ini in the LCZero folder, and install Polyglot.exe as the UCI engine.

Cheers,

Albert
Thanx! That solution works in Fritz 16. (inBetween-adpater doesnt work).
I updated my step-by-step- manual for using Leela in Fritz and Shredder on my website.

Regards - Stefan (SPCC)
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

pohl4711 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:00 pm
Albert Silver wrote:
pohl4711 wrote:Lczero 0.8 (CPU and GPU) does not run in Fritz 16 (not possible to create an UCI-engine). Not with or without inBetween-adapter. v0.7 runs in Fritz 16, but since the networks are 15x192, v0.7 only works in Fritz 16, when inBetween-adapter is used.
In Fritz 13 v0.7 and v0.8 are working without any problems and without inBetween-adapter.
Hi Stefan,

I had a similar issue in Fritz 16, though not in Komodo 11 or Houdini 6 interface. To solve this, I used Polyglot.

http://hgm.nubati.net/polyglot.exe

And used the following in the Polyglot.ini file:

[PolyGlot]
EngineCommand=lczero.exe -t3 --uci
EngineDir=.
Log=true
LogFile=polyglot.log
ShowTbHits=false
Book=false
[Engine]
Hash=1024
SyzygyPath=

Please note that this is with the GPU version of v0.8 and tuned for -t3 as I use a GTX1060. Feel free to modify that parameter.

Place both Polyglot.exe and Polyglot.ini in the LCZero folder, and install Polyglot.exe as the UCI engine.

Cheers,

Albert
Thanx! That solution works in Fritz 16. (inBetween-adpater doesnt work).
I updated my step-by-step- manual for using Leela in Fritz and Shredder on my website.

Regards - Stefan (SPCC)
I spoke with ChessBase Tech and they said the problem was that Leela takes so long to initialize that the GUI concludes there was atimeout and cancels the process. This safeguard is to avoid issues with problematic UCI engines. A patch will be issued especially for Leela to bypass this, but this is not really Fritz's fault the programmer explained, but the fault of the abnormally slow startup by Leela.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
jp

Post by jp »

Why does Leela take so long to initialize?