Do you believe, that AlphaZero is a hoax?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Poll ended at Fri May 11, 2018 3:57 pm

No
74%
Yes
26%

Total votes: 68

BeyondCritics
Full name: Oliver Roese

Post by BeyondCritics »

Please be honest.
AdminX

Re: Do you believe, that AlphaZero is a hoax?

Post by AdminX »

No I don't believe that it is.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

BeyondCritics wrote:Please be honest.
Yes, and I have it on good authority that this was perpetrated by the same people who had staged the lunar landings.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

kasinp wrote:
Yes, and I have it on good authority that this was perpetrated by the same people who had staged the lunar landings.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by shrapnel »

AdminX wrote:No I don't believe that it is.
Nor do I, but the number of people who think it is, will only keep on increasing, unless Google takes some interest and deigns to release it Commercially .
There may not be much money in it for them, but they should release it in the interests of Chess, the Immortal game.
After all, most of the people here obviously have real-world Jobs (which pays the Bills), which have nothing to do with chess or even software programming ; but we still spend Time and Money for a Hobby which has no Financial Gain, simply for the love of the Game.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
jkiliani

Post by jkiliani »

shrapnel wrote:
Nor do I, but the number of people who think it is, will only keep on increasing, unless Google takes some interest and deigns to release it Commercially .
There may not be much money in it for them, but they should release it in the interests of Chess, the Immortal game.
After all, most of the people here obviously have real-world Jobs (which pays the Bills), which have nothing to do with chess or even software programming ; but we still spend Time and Money for a Hobby which has no Financial Gain, simply for the love of the Game.
The number of people who consider AlphaZero a hoax will decrease instead of increasing, for the very simply reason that Leela is proving its feasibility. Once Leela actually reaches the level of Stockfish when using top hardware, doubting AZ will just make people look silly.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

jkiliani wrote:
shrapnel wrote:
The number of people who consider AlphaZero a hoax will decrease instead of increasing, for the very simply reason that Leela is proving its feasibility. Once Leela actually reaches the level of Stockfish when using top hardware, doubting AZ will just make people look silly.
It doesn't actually need to reach that level to prove the point. Remember that AlphaZero was on a larger network and running at 80000 nodes per second, which is the equivalent of 160000 with the current network size of Leela, thanks to their 180 TFLOPS system. On my computer with a GTX 1060 I'm able to get around 1000 per second so AlphaZero was running at least 160 times faster. And their network was no longer evolving as their graphs showed, so at some point hardware is definitely going to be the limiting factor.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
duncan

Post by duncan »

To be honest I think Google itself is a hoax. There is no way their search query can be so advanced so as to undestand your query and answer it. So how does Google do it? Well they have a team of idiot savants (grossly underpaid I must say) quick on their feet who between them have most of the World's knowledge and so they are the ones answering your query.

Nothing automated about it.

Keep this quiet or their share price might crash.
Certainly do not tell the leftists about this. They will incite the idiot savants to demand a fair wage of 100s of millions each which will drive google out of business.
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

duncan wrote:
To be honest I think Google itself is a hoax. There is no way their search query can be so advanced so as to undestand your query and answer it. So how does Google do it? Well they have a team of idiot savants (grossly underpaid I must say) quick on their feet who between them have most of the World's knowledge and so they are the ones answering your query.

Nothing automated about it.

Keep this quiet or their share price might crash.
I think you are right! And I will add that the single most artificially-intelligent thing ever is a thermos bottle. It keeps warm things warm, and cold things cold. I mean, how does it know ?!
:wink:
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Obviously, it is a hoax - the one playing the games was of course Bobby Fischer. The real one, not the replacement they placed in Iceland. He lives in Bahrain, right next to Elvis. The whole story is a cover-up to disguise the real purpose of Google's project, which is an AI to simulate a US president. It has already been twittering that is has a nuclear button, but Google is still reluctant to call it "Skynet Google".