Regarding Talkchess update and features

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: Regarding Talkchess update and features

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Guenther wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:43 pm
hgm wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:22 pm And indicate posters by their full name, rather than their nick.
It seems the 'real name' (full name) field does not even exist at all, after the transformation.
Just look into your own profile - it is not there, which means it is not hidden or something else.

BTW hiding online status seems not to work too. Not that it bothers me much after
I can ignore all 'nuisances' now.
It would be nice if there was an option to change your name to real name if that was not used originally. Hiding Online status also does not work for me anymore, but for some people it is still possible it seems. Is that a bug?
Flash animation is at the moment allowed (Yesterday it was not). That is a bit outdated I think (Flash not totally safe and some browser will not allow it anyway) but maybe necessary for some repair work. Administrator in this version could allow attachments! That would be nice if there is enough memory available. Does not necessarily have to be included in the archives to save space.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

I like it. It looks cleaner,more spacious and it has some color in it.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

Looks cool, works better, and feels faster.

Can you activate the option to automatically open new links in new tabs though? Currently if you forget to click with the middle button or with ctrl, it's quite annoying.
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls
zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

Seems faster, is easy to use, and the code blocks having scrollbars instead of taking up the whole page is nice. Just need to get the diagram and pgn tags working again, and we're back in business. :) Oh, and I agree the real names display in the old forum was nice, though it still showed usernames when quoting.
Erin Dame
Author of RookieMonster
rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

Post by rainhaus »

Dear forum community and officials ,
of course it is a satisfaction for an old computer chess friend that the forum continues. Many thanks to all those who organise and make the funds available.
I was surprised that the best programmers, computer chess legends, well-known experts and testers gathered in this illustrious forum are not worth the commercial value of keeping a forum.
It can't be due to the clicks or the excellent traffic, but most likely because there is no advertising in the forum. I'm not up to date historically on why that is the case. For the user this is very pleasant, actually an oasis in the middle of the advertising lightning storm on other sites. But a few small silent banners might be something, so America's Largest Chess Store will earn at least its expenses. I wouldn't mind:)

To the actual forum:
I would have liked a more flexible one with more free options.
Was there a questioning of the members or at least the mods, maybe I missed that. For me, the unavailable threadview is a significant loss of information and complicates a fast and direct access to thread branches and authors.
Changing from real names to user names often involves lengthy searches. How do I know Mark Lefler's name is mjlef now? The nicks of many members have nothing in common with the real names anymore.
My suggestion: Since the configuration is irreversibly fixed in the forum, a header posting would be very useful. Content: a list of members with an allocation of real names and user names. Forum colleagues see it in a similar way.

Thank you
rn
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

rainhaus wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:43 amBut a few small silent banners might be something
Modern advertising doesn't work this way anymore, those times are over. Today, advertising also includes user tracking across websites, which I do mind. There is no control over the ad servers so that they are attractive hacking targets and important vectors of malware infections. Having an adblocker isn't convenience anymore, it's IT security.

I prefer to directly pay via the donation campaign. Things aren't really "for free", that's life. The main reason why so many websites have to monetise via ads is that they havn't to offer enough value so that people would actually pay.
For me, the unavailable threadview is a significant loss of information and complicates a fast and direct access to thread branches and authors.
Yeah, for shorter threads, that's a loss.
My suggestion: Since the configuration is irreversibly fixed in the forum, a header posting would be very useful.
You'd still have to learn who is who. It would be easier if the members edited their signatures to include name and website.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
Evert

Post by Evert »

CMCanavessi wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:31 am Can you activate the option to automatically open new links in new tabs though? Currently if you forget to click with the middle button or with ctrl, it's quite annoying.
Urgh, please don't!
Nothing pisses me off more* than a website deciding for me that I want to open a link in a new tab. If I wanted to do that, I would! Having said that, I believe there is usually a browser option that lets you configure whether links open in a new tab or not?

*ok, hyperbole. Still, computers that decide what I want is a pet peeve of mine...
rainhaus

Post by rainhaus »

Ras wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:09 am
rainhaus wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:43 amBut a few small silent banners might be something
Modern advertising doesn't work this way anymore, those times are over. Today, advertising also includes user tracking across websites, which I do mind. There is no control over the ad servers so that they are attractive hacking targets and important vectors of malware infections. Having an adblocker isn't convenience anymore, it's IT security.
I prefer to directly pay via the donation campaign. Things aren't really "for free", that's life. The main reason why so many websites have to monetise via ads is that they havn't to offer enough value so that people would actually pay.
Everyone can google the permanent and changing dangers in the WWW and the software solutions are available for download. Nevertheless, advertising is still done by the holder of a site and not by malicious and spying background processes, with or without an ad-server.
So, once again: with a discreet banner advertisement the forum holder can earn money without disturbing the user.
What the holder and the hoster of a forum can do for their and your security is also not my topic,now.

For my home equipment firewall, antivirus software, ad-blocker, pop-up-blocker, trackingblocker, spybot are enough for now. I would load a CCC page with an advertising banner into my RAM in a relaxed and fearless way, even if a little man crawls out and screams: but that's not IT security yet:) !

The interdisciplinary embedding of the existing into a new order and terminology is for the most part only self-referential and pseudo-progressive actionism, IMHO. They all do it, science, industry, journalism.
Wikipedia: "Information security, sometimes shortened to InfoSec, is the practice of preventing unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification, inspection, recording or destruction of information".
So can my software quoted above. If necessary, I read further what is new or only dilutes everyday practice.

Malware and cyber attacks do not require embedded advertising to hack a website. Talkchess has been hacked without advertising, right?

I donate only in the non-profit section. We are involved in an animal welfare project for Italian stray dogs.

rn
Last edited by rainhaus on Sun May 13, 2018 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

rainhaus wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:22 amNevertheless, advertising is still done by the holder of a site
This is not how it works in 2018. Ads are delivered by adservers and auctioned in real-time. Adservers that the site hosters have no control and no say over. What you are suggesting is self-hosted advertising, and the truth is that nobody will pay for it in 2018. The people running ads expect all the tracking and real-time stuff that self-hosted ads do not deliver. Discrete self-hosted banner ads are so 2000s.
Malware and cyber attacks do not require embedded advertising to hack a website.
Whataboutism leads nowhere.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
rainhaus

Post by rainhaus »

Ras wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:58 am
rainhaus wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:22 amNevertheless, advertising is still done by the holder of a site
This is not how it works in 2018. Ads are delivered by adservers and auctioned in real-time. Adservers that the site hosters have no control and no say over. What you are suggesting is self-hosted advertising, and the truth is that nobody will pay for it in 2018. The people running ads expect all the tracking and real-time stuff that self-hosted ads do not deliver. Discrete self-hosted banner ads are so 2000s.
Well, I don't want you to get into an endless loop and I don't start all over again:)
I will look more closely at the subject of ad-serving and can already see that so-called restrictions can be set for contents, times, regions etc. However, the question is at which point these can be determined by whom.
rainhaus wrote:Malware and cyber attacks do not require embedded advertising to hack a website.
Ras wrote:Whataboutism leads nowhere.
Do you have running a randomizer for your comments:)
rn