Regarding Talkchess update and features

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

DustyMonkey

Re: Regarding Talkchess update and features

Post by DustyMonkey »

Shoveling the job out to google or other advertising conglomerate isnt the only method of getting advertising onto a site. The "thats not how its done" thinking on the matter is equivalent to the old "sacrifices must be accepted" logic.

You would think engine authors would understand that when given a number of possible choices, that you dont stop searching the moment you notive that one of them is evaluated poorly.
rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

Post by rainhaus »

DustyMonkey wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:20 pm Shoveling the job out to google or other advertising conglomerate isnt the only method of getting advertising onto a site. The "thats not how its done" thinking on the matter is equivalent to the old "sacrifices must be accepted" logic.
You would think engine authors would understand that when given a number of possible choices, that you dont stop searching the moment you notive that one of them is evaluated poorly.
Pretty abstract, your statement. Somehow I smell what you mean. What are you talking about the engine authors?
Can you operationalize this to the level of action? What do you suggest to the responsible forum people about advertising, specifically? This is not a chat, you can take your time:)
DustyMonkey

Post by DustyMonkey »

Engine authors is an idea, but honestly...

What I was getting at is that other methods of selling eyeballs to advertisers didnt disappear when these "easy" ad services took off. To sell space without making a deal with the devil, someone has to play the role of salesman.

The salesman algorithm is:

Iterate warm and cold calling.

This site is hosted by "Americas Largest Chess Store" which is already selling chess engines (by commercial authors), chess boards, chess pieces, chess clocks, and so on. Because of this I suspect the traffic to the forum must be quite minimal or else a tighter integration would have already been implemented.

A step towards getting more traffic to the forum would be to allow the google and bing crawlers to index it. Currently the crawlers do not (robots.txt?) This is a killer. Think about all the alpha zero and leela searches going on right now that might have landed some eyeballs on the forums.

More traffic may however be an unacceptable inconvenience to the maintainers. A high traffic forum will surely generate a lot of unrewarding responsibilities. My advice at that point would be to find a patron saint. Start with warm calling all the current business contacts from "Americas Largest Chess Store" but move on to iterating cold calling if necessary.
rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

Post by rainhaus »

DustyMonkey wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:44 pm Engine authors is an idea, but honestly...
What I was getting at is that other methods of selling eyeballs to advertisers didnt disappear when these "easy" ad services took off. To sell space without making a deal with the devil, someone has to play the role of salesman.
The salesman algorithm is: Iterate warm and cold calling.
Sounds like cookies, faustian bargain, warming up customers and a record-breaking quick course in marketing!
DustyMonkey wrote:This site is hosted by "Americas Largest Chess Store" which is already selling chess engines (by commercial authors), chess boards, chess pieces, chess clocks, and so on. Because of this I suspect the traffic to the forum must be quite minimal or else a tighter integration would have already been implemented.
A step towards getting more traffic to the forum would be to allow the google and bing crawlers to index it. Currently the crawlers do not (robots.txt?) This is a killer. Think about all the alpha zero and leela searches going on right now that might have landed some eyeballs on the forums.
More traffic may however be an unacceptable inconvenience to the maintainers. A high traffic forum will surely generate a lot of unrewarding responsibilities. My advice at that point would be to find a patron saint. Start with warm calling all the current business contacts from "Americas Largest Chess Store" but move on to iterating cold calling if necessary.
Yep, that's well usable:)

In respect of computer chess, the shop doesn't look as good as its European competitors. As far as I can see, most products are more expensive, not up to date and very sparingly sorted. This means that the board community itself hardly buys anything here and raises any income. Maybe they'll at least buy pieces and boards.

Concerning the branches that are to run advertising on the board, the actual target group is of course the computer segment.
The community eagerly looks for the multi-core on i7, i5, Xeon, Ryzen, at least 16 GB RAM, for zero-engines now also high-quality graphics cards, fast SSDs for operating system, programs and 6-men Syzygy.

For celebrity marketing, the main page of the board should show who is posting here: Here are top programmers and experts members such as...

You are saying it. Cold or lukewarm customers could be reached via search engines searching for computers and chess for some reason. SEO requires a lot of know-how or you pay accordingly for an efficient placement on the front pages. See also: http://www.talkchess.com/forum3/viewtop ... =2&t=67452

I was talking about discreet advertising. But it does not have to be as discreet as the present one. Just by chance I got the idea to click the emblem phpBB and stripped a banner for America's Largest Chess Store. This is not an advertisement, but a picture puzzle :)