Chess for Android: DGT support

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Chess for Android: DGT support

Post by abik »

Great new forum! Thanks for making that happen.

In the meanwhile, I am rolling out Chess for Android version 5.7.0.

In addition to connecting to a Millennium eboard (over BLE or classic bluetooth; needs an upcoming C-module), this version now also support connecting to an DGT eboard (both over classic bluetooth as well as over USB).

Since I have a very old DGT board with RS-232 connector, I was only able to test this for USB (see this blog posting). The bluetooth version, however, has been tested by my alpha testers (for which much thanks!).

As usual, feedback welcome!

AdminX

Re: Chess for Android: DGT support

Post by AdminX »

Thank you Aart, Looking forward to the DGT support! :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by JohnW »

I don't see an option to connect to my dgt board via bluetooth. I verified I was able to connect via another chess interface though.
abik

Post by abik »

JohnW wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:53 pm I don't see an option to connect to my dgt board via bluetooth. I verified I was able to connect via another chess interface though.
Did you get 5.7.0? It is a gradual roll-out, so not all users will see the update yet. It should appear as an update soon on Google Play if you have the previous version installed.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I am assuming I have the latest version. If I go to Google Play I see the latest update was yesterday and I have the option to either uninstall or open. I even uninstalled and reinstalled. The only options I see are

Game Storage
Clipboard
Position Setup
Share Game
Retrieve Position
UCI and Xboard

I don't see "Connect to Eboard" like the manual says I should see.
abik

Post by abik »

JohnW wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:33 pmI don't see "Connect to Eboard" like the manual says I should see.
Ah, I forgot to mention that some of the new features require at least api 18 (Android 4.3 and up) to work and at least api 23 (Android 6.0 and up) to have the new permission model. So anything before Android 4.3 won't work (you won't even see the features), anything between 18 and 23 requires a version with a few extra explicit permissions (you see the features but are prompted to get the special version), and anything from 23 onwards will work smoothly out of the box. It looks like you have an older Android version (check settings and about phone to see your Android version). Many apologies if that is the case.

I will make a note on this on the release notes and in the manual.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

That would be the problem. My tablet is currently on 4.2.2 and apparently can't be upgraded beyond that. Thanks for your help though..
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

HI Aart

Looks like my version has been hacked, as it has an extra piece set called 'Modern 2'
:D :D

https://androidchess.yolasite.com/

Regards
Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
abik

Post by abik »

JohnW wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:30 pmThat would be the problem. My tablet is currently on 4.2.2 and apparently can't be upgraded beyond that. Thanks for your help though..
Sorry again. I may be able to provide some functionality for older versions (I have devices with all sorts of Android versions), but I usually opt for releasing the most stable implementation possible.
abik

Post by abik »

mephisto wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:46 pmLooks like my version has been hacked, as it has an extra piece set called 'Modern 2'
Hi Bryan,
At the risk of sounding gullible, is this your way of saying I can expect another of your master pieces soon, or are you serious about the hacking part?
Aart