SEO

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

SEO

Post by rainhaus »

Another thread is about online advertising for the forum resp. the sponsor. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is also mentioned.
What do you google, chrome or explore with the keywords Computer Chess on the first pages, apart from Wikipedia, the movie of the same name and Amazon offers?
I get chess.com, shredderchess.com, no ChessBase and, say it in astonishment, CCRL 40/40 - index on the 2nd page. Couldn't talkchess.com look just as good?

Respect CCRL, you have an Online Social Media Market Manager at your disposal? :!: :?: :idea:
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: SEO

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Firstly, "Computer Chess" in SEO terminology is a single keyword. :wink:

But it is a keyword which reveals very little about the user's intentions.

Google has changed it's algorithm a lot since the days when "keyword stuffers" could just throw a bunch of keywords in their <head> section and dominate the rankings.

Intention

These days Google looks for INTENTION and those two words could mean anything.

For this reason, it's much wiser to use so-called "long tail keywords" which contain more words than 2.

For example: "Best Positional Chess Engine" is a very specific keyword which makes the searcher's keywords absolutely clear.

And guess who is at number 1 ranking? :lol:

Semantic Keywords

Google also ranks pages which not only have the keywords but have semantic keywords within the articles. This basically means phrases that its algorithm has spotted on similar pages and so are consistent with such content.

So using our first example of "Best Positional Chess Engine" - Google might also look for phrases such as "knight outpost" or "pawn structure" etc inside the post, as part of its ranking process.

Again, this prevents keyword stuffers from gaming the system.

There are a lot of other ranking factors, but PA or "page authority" is only one, so based on the vagueness of the term "computer chess" (in the eyes of Google) and probably the lack of keywords (semantic and otherwise), some pages which we think should rank, do not rank.

SEO is a complicated, but worthwhile to learn if you want organic traffic on your site.
rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

Re: SEO

Post by rainhaus »

Interesting, but for whom?

There are three groups:

Cold to lukewarm interested people who first need a global overview of what's coming up under computer and chess. This
group with my search example.

Search routiners, from advanced to nerd. Their search is so sophisticated and special that they find what they are looking for as quickly as possible. People like you and me :oops:

The group looking for the opposite direction. How do I get to the front pages with my address? On the first page, online agencies charge between 200-300 € per month.

I've told you before, you put everything in one pot too easily. You should define the target groups better. Do you need the link? :mrgreen: