Good low cost web hosting

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Re: Good low cost web hosting

Post by Modern Times »

Rebel wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:33 am I use one.com. You get 25Gb disk space for 2,40 € /month.
They've repied that cgi is not supported on their servers, so I can rule this one out.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Google Compute offers a "free" entry-level hosting plan, called the f1-micro, which has 600mb ram and a 30 gb disk, 1gb of bandwidth (which they call 'egrees' and which costs $0.12/gb).

Off-load your downloads someplace else and you'd have free hosting. Also you would want to enable gzip compression to save bandwidth. For example, this page http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/40 ... t_all.html is 1.7 MB; gzipped it is 134 KB and its style.css is 24 KB instead of 3 KB.

It is another VPS, virtual private server, which means you get a command line and can install and configure whatever you want.

You can PM me if you need help with any of this.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

nabildanial wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:24 am I use iPage and InMotion Hosting right now for my business, and I think InMotion is better in every way. You should check it out.
several days later InMotion have not replied to my query about cgi scripting, so that doesn't bode well for them. Still looking at the various options.
nabildanial

Post by nabildanial »

Modern Times wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:02 pm
nabildanial wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:24 am I use iPage and InMotion Hosting right now for my business, and I think InMotion is better in every way. You should check it out.
several days later InMotion have not replied to my query about cgi scripting, so that doesn't bode well for them. Still looking at the various options.
They have support chat that replies instantly (icon on the top right). You should probably use that one instead of emailing.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Modern Times wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:02 pmseveral days later InMotion have not replied to my query about cgi scripting, so that doesn't bode well for them. Still looking at the various options.
What for do you need cgi? I am pretty sure providers did not drop it when they don't offer a similar and better alternative.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Web pages are generated on-the-fly, for example when you click on an engine to see what opponents it has played you are running a cgi script
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Modern Times wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:23 am Web pages are generated on-the-fly, for example when you click on an engine to see what opponents it has played you are running a cgi script
Well, maybe you should check these guys again because they do support CGI, see the old programmer code page.

http://www.top-5000.nl/programmer_code.htm

And look at the source code:

Code: Select all

<FORM onsubmit="return checkbox_checker()" method=post name=checkbox_form action=/cgi-bin/FormMail.pl sab="3910" abp="3893">
<INPUT type=hidden value=rebel777@top-5000.nl name=recipient sab="3911" abp="3894"> 
<INPUT type=hidden value="Programmer code" name=subject sab="3912" abp="3895"> 
<INPUT type=hidden value=http://www.top-5000.nl/thankyou.htm name=redirect sab="3913" abp="3896"> 
See: action=/cgi-bin/FormMail.pl
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Rebel wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:15 amWell, maybe you should check these guys again because they do support CGI
Signing up with a hoster who doesn't even know what runs on his servers.. what could possibly go wrong?
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ras wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:13 pm
Rebel wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:15 amWell, maybe you should check these guys again because they do support CGI
Signing up with a hoster who doesn't even know what runs on his servers.. what could possibly go wrong?
Reminds of calling the helpdesk of an earlier (not one.com) provider with the complaint I had no internet access. After the lot of questions I had to answer first he finally said - I can't help you, please sent us an email.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Hilarious !

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. We are currenty trialling this company:

https://www.tmdhosting.com/about-us.html