53rd Programmers Tournament Leiden 2018 - Hiarcs wins!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Re: 53rd Programmers Tournament Leiden 2018 - Hiarcs wins!

Post by lucasart »

lucasart wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:18 am
Harvey Williamson wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:01 pm Hiarcs has won the 53rd programmers tournament in Leiden with a 100% score of 9/9.
All the details on the CSVN website https://csvn.nl/
Congratulations for winning this patzer contest, with unequal hardware/book.

Why don't you explain instead why Hiarcs has stopped participating to TCEC ? Afraid of losing ? I say it's better to lose at a man's game than win at children's games…
Particularly impressive is the fact that Hiarcs managed to defeat the mighty Gadget and Embla. I'm so impressed!
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Ron Langeveld wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:05 amLeiden is a nice city. I suppose a trip can be made worth your while, and if the tournament is keeping you inside there is always other programmers/ops to talk to, but then again, if you DO prefer equal hardware may I suggest a tournament that provides this and is less expensive to attend: a new TCEC season with an updated Hiarcs would surely be interesting for many fans of old.
Less expensive for sure, but of course you would not really 'attend' anything at all with TCEC. So this is a bit like saying "why visit your children who emigrated to Greece, this summer? It is much cheaper to just e-mail them your photograph, so they could put it up on their door to show the local vilagers how you look".
Dokterchen

Post by Dokterchen »

Harvey Williamson wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:01 pm Hiarcs has won the 53rd programmers tournament in Leiden with a 100% score of 9/9.
All the details on the CSVN website https://csvn.nl/
Congratulations! Nice to hear that Hiacrs is alive.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Should this not be in the Tournaments section ?
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Modern Times wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:41 pm Should this not be in the Tournaments section ?
Maybe just like maybe your post about web-hosting should not be on the forum at all. However this team does not moderate just because we can. There have been threads about TCEC also in the general section that is also fine. If somebody wants to post games/matches or ratings lists they probably should be in the tournaments section.

The last moderator elections were brought about by the team then being extremely strict about what is posted where. This team agreed that within reason the major tournaments can be talked about in the general section.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Ron Langeveld wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:34 pm Well,...
Against this competition and almost double the number of cores compared to it's closest competitor I guess there really is NO need to bring an updated Hiarcs after all these years ;)

Ron
Even LC0 on something like 4xV100 would destroy Hiaracs so it is not the matter of hardware but participation.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

It once was a nice tournament with a lot of spectators, since a year of 10 interest for events like this is vanishing. Also the venue 'Denksportcentrum Leiden' is not something that makes me happy. I live 45 mins travel away from Leiden, and I could have attended, but I had the feeling that it was not worth the effort.
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

hgm wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:22 am
Ron Langeveld wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:05 amLeiden is a nice city. I suppose a trip can be made worth your while, and if the tournament is keeping you inside there is always other programmers/ops to talk to, but then again, if you DO prefer equal hardware may I suggest a tournament that provides this and is less expensive to attend: a new TCEC season with an updated Hiarcs would surely be interesting for many fans of old.
Less expensive for sure, but of course you would not really 'attend' anything at all with TCEC. So this is a bit like saying "why visit your children who emigrated to Greece, this summer? It is much cheaper to just e-mail them your photograph, so they could put it up on their door to show the local vilagers how you look".
Yes, a bit... like in 0,01%
Not a very good analogy.
Anyway, if I toughed a sensitive nerve I will just stop to provoke.

Ron
sandermvdb

Post by sandermvdb »

I enjoyed the trip to Leiden!
chess22k almost scored halve a point against Hiarcs. Too bad it made a blunder in the 81st move which is probably a bug in my program because when I analyze that position, the blunder move is definitely not suggested :?
(running on a laptop using 1 thread btw ;))
Milos

Post by Milos »

hgm wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:22 am So this is a bit like saying "why visit your children who emigrated to Greece, this summer? It is much cheaper to just e-mail them your photograph, so they could put it up on their door to show the local vilagers how you look".
Strange, even Syrians don't want to emigrate to Greece. I wonder what kind of sick thought process is running in your head when you mention that...