53rd Programmers Tournament Leiden 2018 - Hiarcs wins!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

53rd Programmers Tournament Leiden 2018 - Hiarcs wins!

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Hiarcs has won the 53rd programmers tournament in Leiden with a 100% score of 9/9.
All the details on the CSVN website https://csvn.nl/
Ron Langeveld

Re: 53rd Programmers Tournament Leiden 2018 - Hiarcs wins!

Post by Ron Langeveld »

Well,...
Against this competition and almost double the number of cores compared to it's closest competitor I guess there really is NO need to bring an updated Hiarcs after all these years ;)

Ron
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Ron Langeveld wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:34 pm Well,...
Against this competition and almost double the number of cores compared to it's closest competitor I guess there really is NO need to bring an updated Hiarcs after all these years ;)

Ron
I would prefer all tournaments to be played on equal hardware and the WCSC is which is nice. But this tournament allows you to use whatever you can so we do!
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

Will we see Hiarcs 15 or something like that in the future? Is it even still being developed?
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Harvey Williamson wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:01 pm Hiarcs has won the 53rd programmers tournament in Leiden with a 100% score of 9/9.
Congratulations. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

Harvey Williamson wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:00 pm I would prefer all tournaments to be played on equal hardware and the WCSC is which is nice. But this tournament allows you to use whatever you can so we do!
Leiden is a nice city. I suppose a trip can be made worth your while, and if the tournament is keeping you inside there is always other programmers/ops to talk to, but then again, if you DO prefer equal hardware may I suggest a tournament that provides this and is less expensive to attend: a new TCEC season with an updated Hiarcs would surely be interesting for many fans of old.

Ron
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Harvey Williamson wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:01 pm Hiarcs has won the 53rd programmers tournament in Leiden with a 100% score of 9/9.
I don't recognize the other engines as being in the top range of engines. And the hardware too?
So I'd really like to know how hiarcs does now, if it were in TCEC.
I used to love my old hiarcs 6 and 7. I found it very user friendly, and at one time it used to be the top engine for a few years.
But hiarcs 14 was not user friendly at all, besides which i am still waiting for it to get way beyond hiarcs 14.
IanO

Post by IanO »

Sporting of HIARCS to start all games with the Bird opening. The games were pretty entertaining.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Congratulations for winning this patzer contest, with unequal hardware/book.

Why don't you explain instead why Hiarcs has stopped participating to TCEC ? Afraid of losing ? I say it's better to lose at a man's game than win at children's games…
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Ron Langeveld wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:05 am
Harvey Williamson wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:00 pm I would prefer all tournaments to be played on equal hardware and the WCSC is which is nice. But this tournament allows you to use whatever you can so we do!
Leiden is a nice city. I suppose a trip can be made worth your while, and if the tournament is keeping you inside there is always other programmers/ops to talk to, but then again, if you DO prefer equal hardware may I suggest a tournament that provides this and is less expensive to attend: a new TCEC season with an updated Hiarcs would surely be interesting for many fans of old.

Ron
Hiarcs has been absent from TCEC since 2014 (Season 6). At the same time, a new version has been promised for more than three years now.

It looks like they really thought version 15 would be out in 2015, but ever since, the GUI has capitalised the bulk of the work.

Whether you choose a tournament with weaker engines, or a market without competing chess GUIs (OSX), in both cases the driving principle is the same: follow the path of less resistance.
lucasart wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:18 am
Congratulations for winning this patzer contest, with unequal hardware/book.

Why don't you explain instead why Hiarcs has stopped participating to TCEC ? Afraid of losing ? I say it's better to lose at a man's game than win at children's games…
Not only that, but they also bring a knife to a fist fight (because it's allowed) and brag about the win with an exclamation point.