Design/UX suggestions for my nearly finished game

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zulban

Design/UX suggestions for my nearly finished game

Post by zulban »

Hello! As a hobby project I'm working on a smartphone interface and AI (now in closed beta testing on Google Play!) which allows the player to make custom chess board shapes and sizes, and chess pieces with custom move rules. I'm looking for design suggestions or links to your favourite chess variant games for design inspiration.

Disclosure: the full featured game will be free, and I'll be releasing my art creative commons. However there will be a paid version where I don't bug you to buy the paid version (pay once for full).

My design problem is this: I have about 50 variants and plan on adding hundreds more (since it is easy). What I cannot do is bombard new players with too many choices. Also, I need to introduce new players to new pieces gradually instead of all at once.

A solution I'm considering: some kind of adventure, map, or quest mode where new players are guided to play chess variants which start very close to classic chess (with maybe one new piece, or a weird shaped board). As you progress, the rules for the levels you unlock stray farther from classic chess. It's easier to play a variant with 3 new pieces if you've already played with 2 of them. I haven't decided on UI or movement yet, but I'm starting to think something like the overworld in Super Mario World:

I'm going on a two week vacation to Vancouver tomorrow, however I plan on releasing a free open beta to this community (and others) soon! Again - feel free to give any design suggestions or feedback, especially links to games which you think have solved a similar problem. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Cheers!