Something goes wrong with lc0 since yesterday?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

crem

Re: Something goes wrong with lc0 since yesterday?

Post by crem »

tmokonen wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:16 am So... the main server nets are gone, never to return?
The old server is still running under the url http://oldmain.lczero.org/
We'll have all networks conveniently available for download in one place eventually.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I do not know what is wrong with lc0 but I read at the lc0 forum that lc0 is good only for bullet.

I read the following in this thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 1iEenDOpVM

"it seems above 400,000 nodes ELO growth diminishes heavily (1-7 ELO per doubling NPM) "

"From my tests Leela is far stronger than Stockfish at very short time controls, however given longer thinking time and more nodes, SF outscales a 20 block Leela ID 480 "

I know that A0 scaled better than stockfish8 and certainly earned elo from more time and it seems that the lc0 team has a serious bug or do something clearly different than A0 or both of them.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

crem wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:34 am
tmokonen wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:16 am So... the main server nets are gone, never to return?
The old server is still running under the url http://oldmain.lczero.org/
We'll have all networks conveniently available for download in one place eventually.
Thanks!
Milos

Post by Milos »

Uri Blass wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:44 am I know that A0 scaled better than stockfish8 and certainly earned elo from more time and it seems that the lc0 team has a serious bug or do something clearly different than A0 or both of them.
A0 scaling vs SF from that crappy paper is totally bogus. It is a fact! I wonder when are ppl gonna stop citing that BS graph...
jp

Post by jp »

Milos wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:49 pm
Uri Blass wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:44 am I know that A0 scaled better than stockfish8 and certainly earned elo from more time
A0 scaling vs SF from that crappy paper is totally bogus. It is a fact! I wonder when are ppl gonna stop citing that BS graph...
I wonder why Tord or some other SF guys don't just test & put up their own graph for SF scaling. I think they should.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

jp wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:56 am
Uri Blass wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:44 am I know that A0 scaled better than stockfish8 and certainly earned elo from more time
I wonder why Tord or some other SF guys don't just test & put up their own graph for SF scaling. I think they should.
Because Pohl does that for him.
https://www.sp-cc.de/
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
jp

Post by jp »

Dann Corbit wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:46 am Because Pohl does that for him.
https://www.sp-cc.de/
Thanks, Dann, but I don't see a Pohl graph of (fixed version of) SF, elo vs. time/move (really nodes/move). Is one there?
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Uri Blass wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:44 am I know that A0 scaled better than stockfish8 and certainly earned elo from more time and it seems that the lc0 team has a serious bug or do something clearly different than A0 or both of them.
I prefer to assume they are not lying but if they are lying then what is the reason for them not to tell the public that A0 is good at bullet time control.

It is better to be strong both at bullet time control and at long time control and not only at long time control.
jp

Post by jp »

Uri Blass wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:58 am
Milos wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:49 pm A0 scaling vs SF from that crappy paper is totally bogus. It is a fact! I wonder when are ppl gonna stop citing that BS graph...
I prefer to assume they are not lying
Shouldn't assume anything. "Lying" is also an assumption about why it's wrong.

I think Milos is saying the SF line is totally wrong. SF devs or testers (maybe Pohl) should have a graph somewhere to see.
jkiliani

Post by jkiliani »

Uri Blass wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:58 am
I prefer to assume they are not lying but if they are lying then what is the reason for them not to tell the public that A0 is good at bullet time control.

It is better to be strong both at bullet time control and at long time control and not only at long time control.
I also think it's more plausible that we either have some sort of bug that hurts scaling, or simply haven't figured out some part of the AlphaZero approach properly yet. One experiment being tried now is changing the search parameters, i.e. PUCT, FPU reduction and futile move aversion constant. I'm confident that this will eventually be solved, it will just take some time now that this issue has come to light.