Syzygy bases slowing down engine ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lion

Syzygy bases slowing down engine ?

Post by Lion »

Hello

I just installed the Syzygy endgame databases in Fritz GUI and realize that when playing close to endgames by engine kn/s drastically goes down from i.e. 35'000 kn/s to as low as about 4'000 kn/s.

Is that behavior normal?

rgds
Ozymandias

Re: Syzygy bases slowing down engine ?

Post by Ozymandias »

With a mechanical HDD? It is, default probe depths are really low nowadays.
Sesse

Post by Sesse »

Yes, it's normal if you have the tablebases on a slow disk (especially anything that's not SSD). Assuming, of course, you don't have enough RAM to cache the relevant set.
Lion

Post by Lion »

I use them on usb 3 memory stick from chessbase
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

What a shit product, then. I'm not bad mouthing gladly, but there's no polite way to say it.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Lion wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 pm I use them on usb 3 memory stick from chessbase
USB sticks have latency worse than even slow HDDs. So it's not a surprise. Put probe depth to 16+ and you'll be fine.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Milos wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:51 pm
Lion wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 pm I use them on usb 3 memory stick from chessbase
USB sticks have latency worse than even slow HDDs. So it's not a surprise. Put probe depth to 16+ and you'll be fine.
He will solve the CPU usage problem, but will probe way less. Better to just by a decent SSD and copy the files there (and while he's at it, he could download the missing TBs).
fantasmadel50

Post by fantasmadel50 »

Lion wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 pm Hello

I just installed the Syzygy endgame databases in Fritz GUI and realize that when playing close to endgames by engine kn/s drastically goes down from i.e. 35'000 kn/s to as low as about 4'000 kn/s.

Is that behavior normal?

rgds
Lion very good!

What you are telling has happened to several in the fritz!

General rules :

1) Try to install the tables within the motor configuration and not in the fritz gui.

2) In all cases, try to install them between the gui and the engine only to the engine and not to the 2.

3) Try to separate the dtz files from the wdl files.

4) Try to separate the folders in different units within the possibilities.
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

Ozymandias wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 pm What a shit product, then. I'm not bad mouthing gladly, but there's no polite way to say it.
My sentiment exactly. Charging 179 euro for syzygy files that can be downloaded for free amounts to a very expensive USB3 stick ;)
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Ron Langeveld wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:57 pm
Ozymandias wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 pm What a shit product, then. I'm not bad mouthing gladly, but there's no polite way to say it.
My sentiment exactly. Charging 179 euro for syzygy files that can be downloaded for free amounts to a very expensive USB3 stick ;)
At current prices, what they're asking for a partial set on USB, allows you to buy a Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, which has triple the necessary capacity for the whole set.