Chess Assistant, Stockfish, and multithreading

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Fguy64

Chess Assistant, Stockfish, and multithreading

Post by Fguy64 »

Greetings. I am using a new laptop, dual core, running Windows 10. I am trying to set up Chess Assistant 15 to use Stockfish 9. The following is from the readMe file that came with Stockfish...

----------------------
This version of Stockfish supports up to 512 cores. The engine defaults
to one search thread, so it is therefore recommended to inspect the value of
the *Threads* UCI parameter, and to make sure it equals the number of CPU
cores on your computer.
----------------------

The problem is I can't find a setting for Threads UCI parameter in Chess Assistant. How does one configure the UCI Threads parameter to use two threads in this situation.

Thanks
Fred.
Dann Corbit

Re: Chess Assistant, Stockfish, and multithreading

Post by Dann Corbit »

Not sure if CA 15 is the same as CA 14, but in 14, you click the personalities button and then threads is a sliding scale.
personality.png
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

Frankly I haven't found any changes in the last 4-5 releases of CA - even the bugs appear to be the same.
So, yes the perrsonalities is the same, and the sliders is sometimes quite annoying.
Henrik
Fguy64

Post by Fguy64 »

Thanks Dann, I found it, I should have found it earlier. And yes Henrik, those sliders are annoying.

Fred.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Henrik Dinesen wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 pm Frankly I haven't found any changes in the last 4-5 releases of CA - even the bugs appear to be the same.
So, yes the perrsonalities is the same, and the sliders is sometimes quite annoying.
Development for Chess Assistant has been frozen for quite some time, and they openly state this. Aquarium is their new flagship. I wonder if Dann and I are still mentioned in the Credits (in the Help menu).
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

Albert Silver wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:14 am
Henrik Dinesen wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 pm Frankly I haven't found any changes in the last 4-5 releases of CA - even the bugs appear to be the same.
Development for Chess Assistant has been frozen for quite some time, and they openly state this. Aquarium is their new flagship. I wonder if Dann and I are still mentioned in the Credits (in the Help menu).
Albert - the full credits is this:
"Chess Assistant developers' team thanks all its friends for their invaluable assistance. Our very special thanks to:

Albert Silver, a tireless perfectionist, who has brought us so many excellent ideas that it will take centuries to implement them all.
Don't miss his multimedia courses placed on Databases CD of the CA package.

Robert Hyatt for his famous Crafty, the world's best freeware engine.

Dann Corbit, the godfather of the Computer Analysis Project, the results of which are displayed in various areas of CA, especially in the Background analysis mode.

Robert Pawlak for permanent countenance and inspirations as well as the thorough beta testing. His help prevents users from any problems in different modes.

Dadi Jonsson, for his great and practical proposals in improving Dynamic HTML export and developing of its new default design.

Fabio Cavicchio for his compact and very fast Delfi program that is as good competitor for top programs so good partner for human players."

So yes, you're both still there :)
Henrik