Introducing Igel chess engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

voffka
Full name: Volodymyr Shcherbyna

Re: Introducing Igel chess engine

Post by voffka »

AlexChess wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:23 pm but the exe one your 2.6.0 repository seems different, I don't remember where I have downloaded it: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkW3Hj0Gl_ewz1A6VAM ... 6?e=MgF1nq
As mentioned before,if you download Igel not from official github page, this is not an official release, so you use it at your own risk.

How is native ARM64 build of Igel going? :)
Last edited by voffka on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

voffka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:00 pm Alex, here is the native arm64 build of Igel 3.0.0 for Windows ARM64: https://github.com/vshcherbyna/igel/rel ... _3_0_0.exe

I have no idea if it works. Please run it on your env, and in console type go depth 10 and please share the screenshot here.
No sorry, it doesn't. The mistery continues... Differently from Mac M1 macOS, that runs both Intel and native M1 programs, until now on Windows ARM64 running on Parallels Desktop 16.5 M1 I have only used standard Intel x64 chess engines, popcnt SSE3|SSE41 and they run stable and fast.

If you have other ideas I'm more than happy to retry. Maybe you could start with a build without sse3 or sse41 , with and without popcnt, only to understand why the exe that I have linked works and your official 2.6.0 popcnt build not and which extensions are compatibles with M1.

Note that I'm running multiple instances of Arena. Igel 2.6.0 normally calculates 3000+ knps
Last edited by AlexChess on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
voffka

Post by voffka »

AlexChess wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:44 pm
voffka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:00 pm Alex, here is the native arm64 build of Igel 3.0.0 for Windows ARM64: https://github.com/vshcherbyna/igel/rel ... _3_0_0.exe

I have no idea if it works. Please run it on your env, and in console type go depth 10 and please share the screenshot here.
No sorry, it doesn't. The mistery continues... Differently from Mac M1 macOSX that runs both Intel and native M1 programs, until now on Windows ARM64 running on Parallels Desktop 16.5 M1 I have only used standard Intel x64 chess engines, popcnt SSE3|SSE41 and they run stable and fast.
Please follow instructions from the original message, e.g., double click on Igel, in the new console please type: go depth 10

or go depth 20

and tell us the output.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

voffka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:46 pm
AlexChess wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:44 pm

No sorry, it doesn't. The mistery continues... Differently from Mac M1 macOSX that runs both Intel and native M1 programs, until now on Windows ARM64 running on Parallels Desktop 16.5 M1 I have only used standard Intel x64 chess engines, popcnt SSE3|SSE41 and they run stable and fast.
Please follow instructions from the original message, e.g., double click on Igel, in the new console please type: go depth 10

or go depth 20

and tell us the output.
WOW it works!!! How do I configure it in Arena? Now I try with other IDE.

EDIT: On Hiarcs Chess Explorer it works!!!

EDIT2: It works also on Arena!!! I have manually changed protocol from AUTO to UCI!
Thank you for the support, it's my first NATIVE ARM64 engine for Win 10, I add it on my 15 mins + 15secs running tournament, and report results
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
voffka

Post by voffka »

AlexChess wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:25 pm changed protocol from AUTO to UCI!
Yep, Arena is well known for messing up Igel when the proto is not set to UCI.

Can you please share a high definition picture of the console output? it is very far, probably Mars is closer to us than your screenshot :)

I would like to check out the NPS, I think if you can give me the CPU specs (same problem, the image is too far, I don't see much), I can make better NPS by fine tuning compilation option.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

voffka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:10 pm
AlexChess wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:25 pm changed protocol from AUTO to UCI!
Yep, Arena is well known for messing up Igel when the proto is not set to UCI.

Can you please share a high definition picture of the console output? it is very far, probably Mars is closer to us than your screenshot :)

I would like to check out the NPS, I think if you can give me the CPU specs (same problem, the image is too far, I don't see much), I can make better NPS by fine tuning compilation option.

400 knps is a bit low, (Cfish is 7 times faster) Arena is configured to use 4 CPUs but there is no threads number selection in Igel config frame.
Last edited by AlexChess on Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
voffka

Post by voffka »

That is a very low NPS: only between 10k and 30k nodes per second.

I wonder what is NPS of other engines on this machine? Perhaps good strategy to improve it would be to run Igel ARM64 natively on macOS and calculate the base NPS there?
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

voffka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:53 pm That is a very low NPS: only between 10k and 30k nodes per second.

I wonder what is NPS of other engines on this machine? Perhaps good strategy to improve it would be to run Igel ARM64 natively on macOS and calculate the base NPS there?

I have only Igel 2.90 native on M1 (compiled by Acepoint) if you could compile 3.00 I'll be very happy. Also hsriver's natively compiled Igel 3.00 NNUE on Linux ARM64 is much faster (1600-2000-3000 knps)

It is fighting against Cfish. Nice game! Note my custom Igel icon :D
voffka

Post by voffka »

AlexChess wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 pm It is fighting against Cfish. Nice game! Note my custom Igel icon :D
So, I think I need to compile Igel with ARM NEON support, please give this version a try: https://github.com/vshcherbyna/igel/rel ... _3_0_0.exe

same way, run igel and please do

go depth 20

and put here a high res screenshot.
voffka

Post by voffka »

AlexChess wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 pm It is fighting against Cfish. Nice game! Note my custom Igel icon :D
Icon is okay, but you got the flag wrong.