Introducing Igel chess engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Re: Introducing Igel chess engine

Post by Chessqueen »

Sylwy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:56 pm
Chessqueen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:44 pm
voffka wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:38 pm
Chessqueen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:34 pm I have it set up to Uci and is still does NOT work :roll:
If you double click on Igel, a console will open, type there:

go infinite

... and tell me what happens
Are you refering under CMD command prompt or under the arena Gui, I tried both and nothing happened
1.-double-click on the executable ;
2.-write UCI;
3.-hit "Enter".

If "uciok" the engine should run on your PC !

Thanks it is running NOW :roll: :mrgreen: :roll:
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
voffka
Full name: Volodymyr Shcherbyna

Post by voffka »

Chessqueen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:08 pm Thanks it is running NOW :roll: :mrgreen: :roll:
What was the problem? :?:
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

voffka wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:36 pm
Chessqueen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:08 pm Thanks it is running NOW :roll: :mrgreen: :roll:
What was the problem? :?:
The problem was that for some reason the Igel engine that I selected was NOT the proper one for my intel i7 4770 3.40 GHz, so after I saw what you posted when you typed uci under the CMD Comannd under Arena I whent back and selected the proper Igel :oops:
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

Thank you vshcherbyna and jsriver!

I have tried to run Igel 3.0.0 NNUE compiled by jsriver for "modern computers", but it doesn't work on Windows 10 ARM64 (with Rosetta 2 interpreting
Intel x64 code on Parallels Desktop 16.5 M1) . All others 50+ intel x64 popcnt sse3|sse41 that I have work fine on Arena 3.5.1, and also Igel 2.6.0.

Igel 3.0.0 NNUE is particularly interesting because it's not only "one more Stockfish clone", it is strong and deserves our efforts :)

I'm available as beta tester.

Regards,
AlexChess

Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum: https://shorturl.at/bpvI1
voffka

Post by voffka »

Hello there Alex,

It would be nice to compile Igel natively for ARM for maximum performance of Igel and avoid emulation. Let me do some more digging and see how to do it using gcc, I would appreciate if you run my builds as a test as unfortunately I don't have ARM devices at all.

I will ping you over PM when I have something.

P.S. You are running Windows ARM natively? or you M1? If on M1, wouldn't it be better to compile natively for Apple Silicon?
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

voffka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:10 pm Hello there Alex,

It would be nice to compile Igel natively for ARM for maximum performance of Igel and avoid emulation. Let me do some more digging and see how to do it using gcc, I would appreciate if you run my builds as a test as unfortunately I don't have ARM devices at all.

I will ping you over PM when I have something.

P.S. You are running Windows ARM natively? or you M1? If on M1, wouldn't it be better to compile natively for Apple Silicon?
It's a little difficult to explain: Using Parallels Desktop for M1, Linux is native (as I cannot run Intel x64 engines but Windows 10 Is the contrary) I try to be more clear: 🙂

I run chess engines Intel x64 popcnt sse3 or sse41 on Windows 10 ARM64 under Parallels Desktop 16.5 for Mac M1 (not natives ARM64 but INTERPRETED) . Igel 2.6.0 Intel x64 for modern computers runs perfectly, Igel 3.0.0 not due to BM2 and AVX2 only builds. Id like to have the latest version for my tournaments on Windows 10.

On Ubuntu Linux 20.04 ARM64 (NATIVE but always under Parallels Desktop M1) Igel 3.0.0 (compiled by jsriver) with only 4 CPUs/8 calculates 1600-2000-4000 knps on starting position, middle game and endgame. Apple Silicon M1 has also neuronal engines inside, if you could use them for NNUE maybe could be very fast. On Mac Big M1 Sur Igel 2.9.0 NNUE compiled natIvely by Acepoint works perfectly.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... rPTm9H3ChH

I'm available for all the esperiments you need on the 3 operating systems on Mac mini M1 8-256 GB

Thank you very much for your support, I'd like to contribute to improve Igel.

Regards, AlexChess
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
voffka

Post by voffka »

Hello Alex,

Looks complicated, but let's simplify and start with Windows first. For this part:
AlexChess wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:43 pm I run chess engines Intel x64 popcnt sse3 or sse41 on Windows 10 ARM64 under Parallels Desktop 16.5 for Mac M1 (not natives ARM64 but INTERPRETED) . Igel 2.6.0 Intel x64 for modern computers runs perfectly, Igel 3.0.0 not due to BM2 and AVX2 only builds. Id like to have the latest version for my tournaments on Windows 10.
Can you please go to task manager and show which CPU is shown there? I am trying the ARM builds now in Windows Visual Studio ...
voffka

Post by voffka »

I managed to compile it on Visual Studio, but I think there is no popcnt or bmi2 instructions on ARM64, right?
voffka

Post by voffka »

Alex, here is the native arm64 build of Igel 3.0.0 for Windows ARM64: https://github.com/vshcherbyna/igel/rel ... _3_0_0.exe

I have no idea if it works. Please run it on your env, and in console type go depth 10 and please share the screenshot here.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

From the side of the chess program, the CPU emulated is like an Intel x64 CPU without BM2 or AVX2|AVX256|AVX512

only POPCNT SSE3 or SSE41 are supported. This igel-2.6.0-x64_popcntX.exe works fine on Windows 10 ARM, but the exe one your 2.6.0 repository seems different, I don't remember where I have downloaded it: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkW3Hj0Gl_ewz1A6VAM ... 6?e=MgF1nq