Page 15 of 18

Re: how will Leela fare at the WCCC?

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:24 pm
by Robert Pope
flok wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:02 pm
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:28 pm
hgm wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:35 pm
The problem is that the ICGA is set up as a democracy
I don't think so.
reasons?
Probably because it is governed by the Council and not by the votes of its members. So, a republic at best. Couple that with it having the same president of the ICGA at the head of the Council for the last 18 years (as far as I can tell).

Re: how will Leela fare at the WCCC?

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 pm
by hgm
Albert Silver wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:47 pm
A one-person democracy.
Not at all. Before every WCCC there is a players meeting, which basically decides everything. As a former participant I have often been approached by e-mail for my opinion on some proposed rule change.

Re: how will Leela fare at the WCCC?

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 pm
by Laskos
Interesting results as of now.

19/23 of valid games ended in draw, a draw rate of 82.6% between very strong entities differing pretty wildly in hardware used and relative strength (on the same hardware). Here I considered that game lost on time by Leela as draw, and another game of Leela where she did not played as non-existent.

As of now, official standings are Komodo 4.5/6, GridGinkgo 4.0/6 and Shredder 3.5/6. If I am not wrong, Komodo will play Chiron and GridGinkgo will play Shredder. It's more likely than not both are draws, but let's see. Komodo seems the favorite to win this year's WCCC.

Re: how will Leela fare at the WCCC?

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:16 pm
by mclane
Albert Silver wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:47 pm
hgm wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:35 pm
The problem is that the ICGA is set up as a democracy
A one-person democracy.
It’s mainly Caesar David levy and king jaap van den herik. Are more people involved ??

Re: how will Leela fare at the WCCC?

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:34 pm
by tiptongrange
Laskos, what do you mean by "... and another game of Leela where she did not played..."?

Re: how will Leela fare at the WCCC?

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:43 pm
by hgm
mclane wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:16 pm
It’s mainly Caesar David levy and king jaap van den herik. Are more people involved ??
Well, as I said, the rules are mainly determined by the participants. Within reason, I suppose; they could probably not decide to play Backgammon instead.

Re: how will Leela fare at the WCCC?

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:45 pm
by hgm
tiptongrange wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:34 pm
Laskos, what do you mean by "... and another game of Leela where she did not played..."?
One Leela game was postponed, because its operator was absent due to a domestic emergency.

Re: how will Leela fare at the WCCC?

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:07 pm
by George Tsavdaris
hgm wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:45 pm
tiptongrange wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:34 pm
Laskos, what do you mean by "... and another game of Leela where she did not played..."?
One Leela game was postponed, because its operator was absent due to a domestic emergency.
Postponed but it was played. Leela had a time penalty because of that so it played with time odds.
Instead of 105'+15" for both players, it was Leela 30'+15" versus 45'+15" for opponent if i recall correctly.

Re: how will Leela fare at the WCCC?

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:14 pm
by Laskos
George Tsavdaris wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:07 pm
hgm wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:45 pm
tiptongrange wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:34 pm
Laskos, what do you mean by "... and another game of Leela where she did not played..."?
One Leela game was postponed, because its operator was absent due to a domestic emergency.
Postponed but it was played. Leela had a time penalty because of that so it played with time odds.
Instead of 105'+15" for both players, it was Leela 30'+15" versus 45'+15" for opponent if i recall correctly.
Ah, yes? Didn't know. I am not sure whether to include it as a regular game.

Re: how will Leela fare at the WCCC?

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 pm
by Gian-Carlo Pascutto
reasons?
hgm wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 pm
Before every WCCC there is a players meeting, which basically decides everything. As a former participant I have often been approached by e-mail for my opinion on some proposed rule change.
As a former participant, I quite vividly remember a sudden rule change that invalidated at least one year of my work, hadn't been presented to the participants beforehand and when pointed out how silly it was, the response was that the comments would be considered for the next year.

Obviously, I never played again after that.