ShashChess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

amchess

Re: ShashChess

Post by amchess »

Tests on the 13.2 version:
https://github.com/amchess/ShashChess/wiki/Tests

In particular,
  • match at long time control (25/10) against the later
https://github.com/amchess/ShashChess/wiki/Matches
  • 319 hard positions test suite
https://github.com/amchess/ShashChess/w ... te-results

Like this we joined the main milestone of our project:
to demonstrate, with Shashin theory and at no fast time controls,we're able to obtain an engine
  • stronger than Stockfish in a match
  • stronger than Houdini tactical (till now the best)
without the need of other buttons to enable/disable null move, lmr, etc.
We hope Stockfish community take into account this work to satisfy not only blitz/bullet players.
Andrea
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

I currently have Ver 13.2 as my main analysis engine in Chessbase.

But...that's a mighty small sample size in match play.
And you only seem to be testing...'hard tactical' tests? Sorry, not familiar with the test suite you refer to.
I may be one of the few people here who have actually read the book...it was a gift from someone right after it came out a few years back.

To me, the ability to get different ideas that stand up is most important...not mere 'elo' and thus why an engine like Komodo will remain relevant. I mean, what's the difference in a CPU at 5.5 ghz vs one at 5.35 ghz.

Hint: If you say .15 ghz...you miss the point.
amchess

Post by amchess »

In the Wiki, we explained our ideas for tests
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

amchess wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:27 pm In the Wiki, we explained our ideas for tests
All I see is:
1. a match against one or more know engines
2. a test on a know battery of hard positions.
amchess

Post by amchess »

Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

amchess
According to your TestSuite08302020.ods file I only get 318 positions:

198 Tal
. 78 Capablanca
. 42 All / Petrosian
------
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

You might want to remove this one from your tests:
1R6/8/8/2p5/p1k5/6r1/1K6/8 w - - c0 "Nalimov EGTB files prove that Ra8 Rc8 Re8 Rf8 Rh8 all draw";
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

amchess wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:38 pm Tests on the 13.2 version:
https://github.com/amchess/ShashChess/wiki/Tests

In particular,
  • match at long time control (25/10) against the later
https://github.com/amchess/ShashChess/wiki/Matches
https://github.com/amchess/ShashChess/w ... te-results

Like this we joined the main milestone of our project:
to demonstrate, with Shashin theory and at no fast time controls,we're able to obtain an engine
  • stronger than Stockfish in a match
  • stronger than Houdini tactical (till now the best)
without the need of other buttons to enable/disable null move, lmr, etc.
We hope Stockfish community take into account this work to satisfy not only blitz/bullet players.
Andrea
If ShashChess really is as strong as Stockfish at game playing and really is as strong as Houdini at tactical solving, then that is having your cake and eating it too.

It would be very soothing to see the results of a 1000 game contest, as far as confidence goes.

One other thing, the strongest tactical program is Bluefish XI-LP FD (Tactical=2; defensive=off)
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Thanks, Andrea!
At the site given I don't read about the (hardware-) time per position for solving the battery. Maybe I overlooked it, but can you tell about it a liitle more maybe? Where are the positions collected from?

Had only a short look and found nr.2 is HTC20 nr.6, nr.4 is nr.2 HTC20 for example.
I normally let run Eret and HTC20 but with different TCs, for two trials in test suites of mine, so it would be good for me not to have too many tests with too much overlapping, and too much differences in difficulty and TC.

That's the main reason for my asking. It would be more easy to go through a new one without having to check positions already known.
Peter.
amchess

Post by amchess »

peter wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:14 am
Thanks, Andrea!
At the site given I don't read about the (hardware-) time per position for solving the battery. Maybe I overlooked it, but can you tell about it a liitle more maybe? Where are the positions collected from?

Had only a short look and found nr.2 is HTC20 nr.6, nr.4 is nr.2 HTC20 for example.
I normally let run Eret and HTC20 but with different TCs, for two trials in test suites of mine, so it would be good for me not to have too many tests with too much overlapping, and too much differences in difficulty and TC.

That's the main reason for my asking. It would be more easy to go through a new one without having to check positions already known.
I used the simple old formula M=2nft. So, in my case, 4GB RAM and 150 seconds per position and, for a match, 2GB each engine and 25+10 per game.
Andrea