ShashChess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ozymandias

Re: ShashChess

Post by Ozymandias »

I suspect that most of the Elo gains for SF won't come from improving neither the classical eval, nor the new one, but rather from tuning when to use one or the other. We know search was already excellent, so I don't expect that to contribute much growth either.
amchess

Post by amchess »

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

amchess wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:39 pm Added linux versions:
https://github.com/amchess/ShashChess/releases/tag/14
Good work - your work inspire me to get Shashin's book. I noticed that your T, P and C options are set to false, I'm assuming that is for best play. Was wondering how much Elo loss ( or perhaps gain) have you measured with T, P & C set to true?
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... in#p533571

I just realized that seven years ago I was the first to post about Shashin's book and its potential for aiding engines and not just humans. :o
amchess

Post by amchess »

Every position can be of type
Tal, Capablanca, Petrosian or mixed type: Tal-Capablanca or Capablanca-Petrosian:
As rule of thumb, if you set the contempt to 0 and reset any dynamic contempt,
if on a position the engine like stockfish shows a score
  • <-0.25 the position is of Petrosian type
  • =-0.25 the position is of Petrosian-Capablanca type (the so called caos positions in terms of Shashin theory)
  • between -0.25 and 0.25 the position is of Capablanca type
  • =0.25 the position is of Capablanca-Tal type (the other type of so called caos positions in terms of Shashin theory)
  • >0.25 the position is of Tal type
There is also, strictly speaking a final caos positions type: Tal, Capablanca and Petrosian.
This is for positions where even the above rule of thumb can't be applied.
Those positions can be reocognized because the engine's score swing very frequently between the indicated ranges.
Anyway, if, for a position, you know a priori the Shashin's type, if you check the corresponding checkbox(es), the analysis will be better, but surely the default option is the best for match playing, because the initial position is even (capablanca type also equivalent to unchecked boxes).
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

carldaman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:29 pm http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... in#p533571

I just realized that seven years ago I was the first to post about Shashin's book and its potential for aiding engines and not just humans. :o
The Link to Chessvibes don't exist anymore. :(
I got it via Wayback. :D

http://web.archive.org/web/201309090544 ... -best-play

btw. is chessvibes.com home page dead?
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Paloma wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:55 am btw. is chessvibes.com home page dead?
Chessvibes was acquired by chess.com a few years ago, I believe.

One of the big chess sites anyway...pretty sure it was chess.com.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

amchess wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:42 pm Every position can be of type
Tal, Capablanca, Petrosian or mixed type: Tal-Capablanca or Capablanca-Petrosian:
As rule of thumb, if you set the contempt to 0 and reset any dynamic contempt,
if on a position the engine like stockfish shows a score
  • <-0.25 the position is of Petrosian type
  • =-0.25 the position is of Petrosian-Capablanca type (the so called caos positions in terms of Shashin theory)
  • between -0.25 and 0.25 the position is of Capablanca type
  • =0.25 the position is of Capablanca-Tal type (the other type of so called caos positions in terms of Shashin theory)
  • >0.25 the position is of Tal type
There is also, strictly speaking a final caos positions type: Tal, Capablanca and Petrosian.
This is for positions where even the above rule of thumb can't be applied.
Those positions can be reocognized because the engine's score swing very frequently between the indicated ranges.
Anyway, if, for a position, you know a priori the Shashin's type, if you check the corresponding checkbox(es), the analysis will be better, but surely the default option is the best for match playing, because the initial position is even (capablanca type also equivalent to unchecked boxes).
I'm not familiar with the book, but from what I recall about the theory, it was about evaluating positions. If the evaluation is in the nnue file, how does Shashchess apply Shashin's theory? Trough search alone? Does it apply Tal, Capablanca, Petrosian values afterwards to guide it?
amchess

Post by amchess »

Hi.
Many thanks for the interesting question.
Clearly, Shashin's theory must be adapted to a chess engine.
If you sees the code, the position's nature is etablished at each depth from the previous depth static/quiescent position.
The initial position is "bootstrapped" by the three Shashin's options.
amchess

Post by amchess »