ShashChess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

amchess

Re: ShashChess

Post by amchess »

matejst
Full name: Boban Stanojević

Post by matejst »

Thanks, Andrea. The compiles seem very fast. Do you plan to build a net starting from ShashChess play?
amchess

Post by amchess »

matejst wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:15 pm Thanks, Andrea. The compiles seem very fast. Do you plan to build a net starting from ShashChess play?
Surely!
We need voluntaries and you can contact me in private!
Andrea
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

I was using the default version (no personality chosen) to analyse a few positions from a game today...at one point I could see where the game could logically go into more quite channels or be livened up a bit.

So, I wondered: Using the default engines to suggest ways to continue at various points in a game, does the engine look at the current position on the board and decide which 'mode' to go into from a rather 'static' snapshot?, ie: This is a tactical position or this is a worse position or this is a position where maneuvering is likely to pay off....and decide which mode to operate under for that given position?

Or for such analysis, should one decided for oneself which personality to chose and then load that one?

Obviously I am having fun playing with ShashChess...just looking for how to get the most out of it for analysis of positions or deep middlegame repertoire analysis. Thanks!!!
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Ideal would be to have the ability to transform the position from quiet/static to dynamic + fireworks. Does ShashChess in Tal mode do this? I know Nezh does.
Cornfed

Post by Cornfed »

carldaman wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:50 pm Ideal would be to have the ability to transform the position from quiet/static to dynamic + fireworks. Does ShashChess in Tal mode do this? I know Nezh does.
A la Dorfman's approach in 'The Method'?
Cornfed

Post by Cornfed »

Cornfed wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:08 pm
carldaman wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:50 pm Ideal would be to have the ability to transform the position from quiet/static to dynamic + fireworks. Does ShashChess in Tal mode do this? I know Nezh does.
A la Dorfman's approach in 'The Method'? That would kind of make ShashChess a bit of a 'swiss army knife'!
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Yes, that would be fantastic if it worked. :)

Have you experimented with checking off the Tal personality and bootstrapping with that? I'd play around with it. My beef is that contempt is built-in/unchangeable and seems too low for a true Tal style.
Cornfed

Post by Cornfed »

carldaman wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:16 pm Yes, that would be fantastic if it worked. :)

Have you experimented with checking off the Tal personality and bootstrapping with that? I'd play around with it. My beef is that contempt is built-in/unchangeable and seems too low for a true Tal style.
I have - for sharp positions in the Scandinavian ...Nf6...Bg4 lines. It has given me some interesting OTB ideas (I probably would have seen if I switched off the engine and just 'looked') that SF or Komodo 11.3 have not offered. Perfect attempts for the sharp lines that can arise out of this opening though.

But from what I understand...you don't really need to pick a specific personality, the default would 'sense' this is a sharp position and 'play as Tal'. I may have misunderstood though...that's why I've asked in this thread. I was wondering what parameters it looks for to 'switch' to a given personality.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Interesting, but as I wrote earlier, even better would be if Tal came on even if the position was quiet and then
'un-quietened' it.