TCEC season 13, 2 NN engines will be participating, Leela and Deus X

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 4663
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: TCEC season 13, 2 NN engines will be participating, Leela and Deus X

Post by Rebel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:46 am

Milos wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:28 pm
Eelco de Groot wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:22 pm
Karol Majewski wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:18 pm
May the 1st 2019 on Chessbase.com:

DeusX 1, the first ever neural network chess engine, is now available on Chessbase. Written by Albert Silver is now the strongest chess engine on the planet (~3700 Elo). Click here to get 20% discount for DeusX 1 and get it for only 2400$.
Only in this case the GPL would come into play. If he wanted to distribute it. Even for free. As long as it's private, Albert can do what he want with it. Only the TCEC rules apply, not the GPL. As far as participation is concerned. At least I think so.
GPL never comes into play. Simply speaking file weights.txt is not copyrightable and putting copyright claim to it is void. If you think differently please consult a copyright lawyer.
Milos, maybe you remember the Rybka-Fruit-Drama, part of the accusations was that Vas copied the PST numbers by running Fruit with a few parameter weight changes. Not sure what your view was back then but I remember the outcry.
Everybody is unique, except me.

Robert Pope
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:27 pm

Re: TCEC season 13, 2 NN engines will be participating, Leela and Deus X

Post by Robert Pope » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Well, whether something is a copy and whether something is copyrighted are really different discussions.

Milos
Posts: 3387
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:47 am

Re: TCEC season 13, 2 NN engines will be participating, Leela and Deus X

Post by Milos » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Rebel wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:46 am
Milos wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:28 pm
Eelco de Groot wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:22 pm
Karol Majewski wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:18 pm
May the 1st 2019 on Chessbase.com:

DeusX 1, the first ever neural network chess engine, is now available on Chessbase. Written by Albert Silver is now the strongest chess engine on the planet (~3700 Elo). Click here to get 20% discount for DeusX 1 and get it for only 2400$.
Only in this case the GPL would come into play. If he wanted to distribute it. Even for free. As long as it's private, Albert can do what he want with it. Only the TCEC rules apply, not the GPL. As far as participation is concerned. At least I think so.
GPL never comes into play. Simply speaking file weights.txt is not copyrightable and putting copyright claim to it is void. If you think differently please consult a copyright lawyer.
Milos, maybe you remember the Rybka-Fruit-Drama, part of the accusations was that Vas copied the PST numbers by running Fruit with a few parameter weight changes. Not sure what your view was back then but I remember the outcry.
Well I really don't have time to search for my posts, but I remember clearly as it was yesterday that I spent like tens of posts trying to convince Bob that copying PST values is totally irrelevant coz PST values are just numbers that cannot be copyrighted. As usual Bob was totally deaf on all the arguments.

User avatar
hgm
Posts: 23616
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Re: TCEC season 13, 2 NN engines will be participating, Leela and Deus X

Post by hgm » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Machine code in a .exe file is also just a sequence of numbers...

CypherOz
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:43 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: TCEC season 13, 2 NN engines will be participating, Leela and Deus X

Post by CypherOz » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 am

It looks like Leela will win Div 4 and promote to Div 3... the real question is will she get to Div 2?
CheckMAAAATE!! (From Australia)

User avatar
Laskos
Posts: 9410
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: TCEC season 13, 2 NN engines will be participating, Leela and Deus X

Post by Laskos » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:59 am

CypherOz wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 am
It looks like Leela will win Div 4 and promote to Div 3... the real question is will she get to Div 2?
I would say probably yes. The new net is about 100 Elo points stronger than the one currently playing. It seems TCEC doesn't favor much NN engines on GPU. The GPU component is underpowered in TCEC machine compared to CPU.

whereagles
Posts: 560
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:03 am

Re: TCEC season 13, 2 NN engines will be participating, Leela and Deus X

Post by whereagles » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:46 am

Underpowered? What would be the necessary upgrade in your opinion, Kai?

Error323
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:35 pm

Re: TCEC season 13, 2 NN engines will be participating, Leela and Deus X

Post by Error323 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:00 am

whereagles wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:46 am
Underpowered? What would be the necessary upgrade in your opinion, Kai?
The gpus are not underpowered. 2x 1080Ti give about 22 teraflops of 32bit float performance (theoretically). What might happen is that they get too hot due to insufficient cooling. In that case they start throttling down significantly.

whereagles
Posts: 560
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:03 am

Re: TCEC season 13, 2 NN engines will be participating, Leela and Deus X

Post by whereagles » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:04 am

Error323 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:00 am
The gpus are not underpowered. 2x 1080Ti give about 22 teraflops of 32bit float performance (theoretically). What might happen is that they get too hot due to insufficient cooling. In that case they start throttling down significantly.
Funny you mention that. Some TCEC viewers reported slow downs in leela NPS count. I wonder (lack of) cooling might be responsible.

User avatar
Laskos
Posts: 9410
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: TCEC season 13, 2 NN engines will be participating, Leela and Deus X

Post by Laskos » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:21 am

Error323 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:00 am
whereagles wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:46 am
Underpowered? What would be the necessary upgrade in your opinion, Kai?
The gpus are not underpowered. 2x 1080Ti give about 22 teraflops of 32bit float performance (theoretically). What might happen is that they get too hot due to insufficient cooling. In that case they start throttling down significantly.
Price-wise and power consumption wice, they are underpowered compared to the CPUs used. I don't care about teraflops when comparing GPU to CPU in a competition.

Post Reply