Ivanhoe plays singlecore in TCEC 13 !!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

whereagles

Re: Ivanhoe plays singlecore in TCEC 13 !!

Post by whereagles »

what a mess.. some people definitely need to chill out and start to realize the world is not, and never will, be as they want it to be
marsell

Post by marsell »

what a mess.. some people definitely need to chill out and start to realize the world is not, and never will, be as they want it to be

what a BS
sedicla
Full name: Alcides Schulz

Post by sedicla »

Regarding tucano, I looked at the code, and is not properly reporting the nodes count. Also the max hash is 1024 :oops: . Those should be addressed in future releases. This version 7.05 playing in TCEC had few updates related to time control, and few search tweaks.

Hope this clarifies and won't generate more questions. Tucano is just a bird that likes to play chess :D

Thanks.
glennsamuel32

Post by glennsamuel32 »

kranium wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:40 pm Ivanhoe hasn't played in TCEC in years
I couldn't care less if it advances...
with 2 days left to the start Anton was still short 2 entries...I simply tried to help him out with I consider to be a very interesting engine
You were well within your rights to get this rectified, but you saw fit not to ?

Critical Engine Bugs
In the case of a serious, play-limiting bug (like crashing or interface communication problems, not including losses on time) not discovered during the pre-Season testing, the engine can be updated once per Division to fix this/these bug/bugs only. If this update still doesn't fix the problem(s) or if there is no update available, the engine might have the number of cores reduced, have the hash size reduced or have the tablebase access disabled - these changes will remain for the rest of the Division.
Judge without bias, or don't judge at all...
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Joost Buijs wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:31 am Yesterday I was watching the game between Deus-X and Tucano and noticed that Tucano shows an incredibly low speed (around 1 mnps, sometimes even lower), so I suspect it was only using one core. Also the configured hash (1024 Mb) seems very low for a lazy-smp engine with these long thinking times. Maybe misconfiguration or is this normal behaviour for Tucano? I don't know.
Don't attribute to misconfiguration what can be explained by false (or inappropriate) sharing of cache lines.

This may also be the problem with Ivanhoe.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Joost Buijs wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:12 am In the past when Martin was still in charge of TCEC each engine was thoroughly checked before it was entered in the tournament.
Now it seems more like playing Pacman. TCEC will lose a lot of credibility with all these nonsense.
TCEC tournament director is totally incompetent. Was already the case with Martin, is even worse with Anton. They haven't written any code, neither chess engines, nor the website, nor the cutechess backend. They just collect advertising revenue, and sell VIP status to trigger-happy morons for a fee.

What we need instead are programmers that understand what they are doing…

PS: DeusX, really ? It's just LC0 with random changes by someone who has no clue what he is doing. How does that qualify ? Wasn't there supposed to be some clone filtering rule ?
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

syzygy wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:43 am
Joost Buijs wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:31 am Yesterday I was watching the game between Deus-X and Tucano and noticed that Tucano shows an incredibly low speed (around 1 mnps, sometimes even lower), so I suspect it was only using one core. Also the configured hash (1024 Mb) seems very low for a lazy-smp engine with these long thinking times. Maybe misconfiguration or is this normal behaviour for Tucano? I don't know.
Don't attribute to misconfiguration what can be explained by false (or inappropriate) sharing of cache lines.

This may also be the problem with Ivanhoe.
Tucano seems to show n/s of the main thread only, so it is impossible to guess how many cores it uses without looking at the task-manager. Ivanhoe (same version) runs 15 times faster on my own machine, so it is clear that it is only using 1 core at TCEC.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

lucasart wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:30 am
Joost Buijs wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:12 am In the past when Martin was still in charge of TCEC each engine was thoroughly checked before it was entered in the tournament.
Now it seems more like playing Pacman. TCEC will lose a lot of credibility with all these nonsense.
TCEC tournament director is totally incompetent. Was already the case with Martin, is even worse with Anton. They haven't written any code, neither chess engines, nor the website, nor the cutechess backend. They just collect advertising revenue, and sell VIP status to trigger-happy morons for a fee.

PS: DeusX, really ? It's just LC0 with random changes by someone who has no clue what he is doing. How does that qualify ? Wasn't there supposed to be some clone filtering rule ?
Don't be too harsh on Martin, the few times I had my engine play at TCEC Martin was always very helpful and responsive and tried to get the best out of it. After Chessdom took over it went down hill, I agree.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I do not think that it was ok to accept DeusX but I do not think that the changes are random changes by someone who has no clue what he is doing.

I wonder if there is a chance we are going to see a team of stockfish and LC0 network next season.
My idea is simply to run LC0 to get a move but later search with stockfish to verify that the move is not a tactical blunder(The algorithm is simply if stockfish does not find a move that is at least 0.3 pawns better than the move that LC0 suggest then play LC0's move).

You can use instead of 0.3 a different number and I do not know what is the best number but I imagine that it may be possible to get something that is stronger than both of Stockfish and LC0.

If Deus is allowed then I think that the team of LC0 and stockfish that I suggest also should be allowed.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

I guess this explains you don't enter Demolito. I've suggested it to Anton + Admins for S12 and S13.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )