New engine releases

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Damir
Posts: 1966
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:53 pm

Re: New engine releases

Post by Damir » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:39 am


Norbert Raimund Leisner
Posts: 1529
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 2:57 pm
Location: Augsburg - Germany

Re: New engine releases

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:59 pm

Updates > CCWiki Chess Engine List

Franky 0.10 (2019/01/11)
Francesca MAD 0.21 (2019/01/11)
Minic 0.32 (2019/01/11)
Topple 0.33 (2019/01/11)
Ronja 0.8.1 (2018/12/14)
Scorpio 2.9.0 MCTS + NN (2018/10/11)
Shallow Blue 2.0.0 (2017/01/17)
IZII 2018.09.09 (2017/11/24)

Best wishes,
Norbert

jorose
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Re: New engine releases

Post by jorose » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:37 pm

Winter 0.4 with stability fix and improved eval is on my github. I have it as a pre-release until people can confirm the binary is working and someone who had issues with stability can confirm that is fixed.

https://github.com/rosenthj/Winter/releases/tag/v0.4

Assuming the above, I will make a more in depth release post at a later date.
Improvement is only +70 this time as a very rough estimate.
-Jonathan

jorose
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Re: New engine releases

Post by jorose » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:53 pm

Winter 0.4a is released, change to 0.4 is cosmetic and they are identical in playing strength.

Basically I fixed UCI output of selective depth and updated the version number.

Perhaps more important is that I did not make a native Windows compile, instead it is cross compiled from my regular linux system. I am currently on vacation for a few days and won't be able to confirm it works on a Windows computer on my own until I get back. Until then it would be great if someone could run any of the binaries and confirm they work in a pm, reply to here or message on discord. I considered waiting until I get back to make the release, however I felt this is a good dry run, as I am not expecting to have access to a private Windows system from February until at least August of this year.

In the future I will at least check versions with Wine.
-Jonathan

User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 2660
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: New engine releases

Post by Guenther » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:55 pm

jorose wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:53 pm
Winter 0.4a is released, change to 0.4 is cosmetic and they are identical in playing strength.

Basically I fixed UCI output of selective depth and updated the version number.

Perhaps more important is that I did not make a native Windows compile, instead it is cross compiled from my regular linux system. I am currently on vacation for a few days and won't be able to confirm it works on a Windows computer on my own until I get back. Until then it would be great if someone could run any of the binaries and confirm they work in a pm, reply to here or message on discord. I considered waiting until I get back to make the release, however I felt this is a good dry run, as I am not expecting to have access to a private Windows system from February until at least August of this year.

In the future I will at least check versions with Wine.
I tried the windows old and ancient binaries on my Win7-64 quadcore, which supports up to SSE 4.1.
The ancient binary works here. Interesting though, that with Winter 0.3, even the old version worked.

jorose
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Re: New engine releases

Post by jorose » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:35 pm

Guenther wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:55 pm
jorose wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:53 pm
Winter 0.4a is released, change to 0.4 is cosmetic and they are identical in playing strength.

Basically I fixed UCI output of selective depth and updated the version number.

Perhaps more important is that I did not make a native Windows compile, instead it is cross compiled from my regular linux system. I am currently on vacation for a few days and won't be able to confirm it works on a Windows computer on my own until I get back. Until then it would be great if someone could run any of the binaries and confirm they work in a pm, reply to here or message on discord. I considered waiting until I get back to make the release, however I felt this is a good dry run, as I am not expecting to have access to a private Windows system from February until at least August of this year.

In the future I will at least check versions with Wine.
I tried the windows old and ancient binaries on my Win7-64 quadcore, which supports up to SSE 4.1.
The ancient binary works here. Interesting though, that with Winter 0.3, even the old version worked.
I thought my 0.3 Old compile also expected SSE4.2, so either I remembered that incorrectly or the compiler didn't use any of the SSE4.2 operations despite having access to them. In any case, I am glad the cross compiles seem to work. I have updated the Windows binaries with an "older" compile which expects just SSE4.1. When I get home I'll see if there is a speed difference between them.

Also I still need to come up with a nice way to make people not be embarassed about which compile they need to use, but understand which ones they should try. Having your machine called ancient is probably not too nice, yet my impression is, that it is the most popular compile :|
-Jonathan

User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 2660
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: New engine releases

Post by Guenther » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:42 am

jorose wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:35 pm
Guenther wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:55 pm
I tried the windows old and ancient binaries on my Win7-64 quadcore, which supports up to SSE 4.1.
The ancient binary works here. Interesting though, that with Winter 0.3, even the old version worked.
I thought my 0.3 Old compile also expected SSE4.2, so either I remembered that incorrectly or the compiler didn't use any of the SSE4.2 operations despite having access to them. In any case, I am glad the cross compiles seem to work. I have updated the Windows binaries with an "older" compile which expects just SSE4.1. When I get home I'll see if there is a speed difference between them.

Also I still need to come up with a nice way to make people not be embarassed about which compile they need to use, but understand which ones they should try. Having your machine called ancient is probably not too nice, yet my impression is, that it is the most popular compile :|
Well, as long as it runs here I wouldn't even be bothered, if it is called 'pleistocene build' ;-)
My hardware had its 10th birthday just a few days ago! Of course a lot of internal hardware
was already exchanged, or upgraded by me (ram, graphics, power supply etc.) except the main HDD (knock on wood).

Carlos777
Posts: 635
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: New engine releases

Post by Carlos777 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 pm

jorose wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:53 pm
Winter 0.4a is released, change to 0.4 is cosmetic and they are identical in playing strength.

Basically I fixed UCI output of selective depth and updated the version number.

Perhaps more important is that I did not make a native Windows compile, instead it is cross compiled from my regular linux system. I am currently on vacation for a few days and won't be able to confirm it works on a Windows computer on my own until I get back. Until then it would be great if someone could run any of the binaries and confirm they work in a pm, reply to here or message on discord. I considered waiting until I get back to make the release, however I felt this is a good dry run, as I am not expecting to have access to a private Windows system from February until at least August of this year.

In the future I will at least check versions with Wine.
The ancient compile works fine on my PC, also no problems with parallel games. Here a 4'+2" tournament:

Code: Select all

                          Score     (Tie)  Pa Wi Wy Bu To Fr De Ka Ch Sh Co Rh Fr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1: Pawny 1.2           16.5 / 24  184.00  XX == =0 == =1 =0 11 11 01 01 11 11 11  (+13 -4 =7)
 2: Winter 0.4a         14.0 / 24  168.50  == XX =1 11 10 == 01 =0 01 =1 01 11 0=  (+10 -6 =8)
 3: WyldChess v1.51     14.0 / 24  161.50  =1 =0 XX 0= 10 == 0= 01 11 11 1= 01 1=  (+10 -6 =8)
 4: Bugchess2 1.9       13.5 / 24  157.00  == 00 1= XX 00 11 11 =0 =1 1= =1 10 01  (+10 -7 =7)
 5: TomitankChess 3.0   13.0 / 24  150.25  =0 01 01 11 XX 0= == 10 1= 0= 0= =1 11  (+9 -7 =8)
 6: Francesca MAD 0.21  12.0 / 24  144.25  =1 == == 00 1= XX 00 1= 0= 10 1= 11 =0  (+7 -7 =10)
 7: Devel 2.0000        12.0 / 24  137.50  00 10 1= 00 == 11 XX 01 =0 01 11 01 10  (+10 -10 =4)
 8: Karballo 1.8        11.0 / 24  130.25  00 =1 10 =1 01 0= 10 XX 10 == 00 01 =1  (+8 -10 =6)
 9: Chess Tiger 2007.1  11.0 / 24  130.25  10 10 00 =0 0= 1= =1 01 XX =1 10 0= ==  (+7 -9 =8)
10: Shield 2.1          11.0 / 24  126.25  10 =0 00 0= 1= 01 10 == =0 XX == 01 11  (+7 -9 =8)
11: Colossus 2008b      10.0 / 24  114.25  00 10 0= =0 1= 0= 00 11 01 == XX =0 =1  (+6 -10 =8)
12: Rhetoric 1.4.3      10.0 / 24  111.50  00 00 10 01 =0 00 10 10 1= 10 =1 XX 1=  (+8 -12 =4)
13: Fridolin 3.00        8.0 / 24   98.00  00 1= 0= 10 00 =1 01 =0 == 00 =0 0= XX  (+4 -12 =8)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
156 games: +55 -54 =47

Sergio Martinez
Posts: 1455
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: New engine releases

Post by Sergio Martinez » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:20 pm

Pedro has sent us a new version of Caligula (version 0.8)

You can download here: http://kirill-kryukov.com/chess/discuss ... =7&t=10757

Many thanks to Pedro for his great work :)
Member of the CCRL Group. Write me if you want I test your engine.

Post Reply