Ethereal 10.55 problems

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jouni

Ethereal 10.55 problems

Post by Jouni »

I tried it under Fritz GUI. It don't display current move and crashes after some positions when running test suite. Purged :) .
Jouni
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Re: Ethereal 10.55 problems

Post by AndrewGrant »

Jouni wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:39 pm I tried it under Fritz GUI. It don't display current move and crashes after some positions when running test suite. Purged :) .
Assuming this is just a troll, since you posted no other information ... ?

If not, can I have the configuration, as well as one of the positions it crashes under.

Seeing as I've seen 0 crashes over 34million games, I find this hard to believe, but am curios.

EDIT : Ethereal does not report currmove like Stockfish does. So that's not really an issue.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

No troll. Seems,that Ethereal plays OK under Fritz GUI, but running test suite crashes it after first position. I can use Arena were testsuites work without problems! There has always been some problems in Fritz testsuites with many engines like Arasan (have't tried last versions).
Jouni
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Jouni wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:12 pm No troll. Seems,that Ethereal plays OK under Fritz GUI, but running test suite crashes it after first position. I can use Arena were testsuites work without problems! There has always been some problems in Fritz testsuites with many engines like Arasan (have't tried last versions).
Well I'm happy to look into the issue.

If I had to guess, I would say your test suite has invalid fen forms, but Arena fixes them.

Maybe something simple like .... no half move and full move, which WILL crash Ethereal.
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

AndrewGrant wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:24 pmMaybe something simple like .... no half move and full move, which WILL crash Ethereal.
Software that takes input should never crash upon invalid input because these days, that amounts to a potential security issue. Using default values can be fine, and in this case, it is reasonable to assume no castling rights, no EP square and 0 for moves and half moves.

Or rejecting the position and answering a subsequent go with "bestmove 0000" is also a way. But IMO, crashing is not an option.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Ras wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:57 pm
AndrewGrant wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:24 pmMaybe something simple like .... no half move and full move, which WILL crash Ethereal.
Software that takes input should never crash upon invalid input because these days, that amounts to a potential security issue. Using default values can be fine, and in this case, it is reasonable to assume no castling rights, no EP square and 0 for moves and half moves.

Or rejecting the position and answering a subsequent go with "bestmove 0000" is also a way. But IMO, crashing is not an option.
I respectfully disagree. Send my program proper input as per the spec, or crash out.

I have to comply to the specification from the GUI, why not the other way around?
Ras

Post by Ras »

AndrewGrant wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:02 pmI respectfully disagree. Send my program proper input as per the spec, or crash out.
That's why we get infected computers - because too much software is coded with that mindset. And because attackers find ways to feed invalid input to programs in order to make use of missing validation. A crash is only the first step in exploiting buffer overruns.
I have to comply to the specification from the GUI, why not the other way around?
Non-compliance may have the engine refuse to operate, that's fine. But crashing and thus taking GUI non-compliance as pretext to ultimately endanger the user's system is quite a big leap.
Rasmus Althoff
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

maybe you could send a uci info string "please try eating the turds you are feeding me yourself" and crash after that?
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Ras wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:35 pm
AndrewGrant wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:02 pmI respectfully disagree. Send my program proper input as per the spec, or crash out.
That's why we get infected computers - because too much software is coded with that mindset. And because attackers find ways to feed invalid input to programs in order to make use of missing validation. A crash is only the first step in exploiting buffer overruns.
Non-compliance may have the engine refuse to operate, that's fine. But crashing and thus taking GUI non-compliance as pretext to ultimately endanger the user's system is quite a big leap.
https://github.com/official-stockfish/S ... issues/905

I guess download Ethereal at your own risk then.
Ras

Post by Ras »

AndrewGrant wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:35 pm https://github.com/official-stockfish/S ... issues/905

I guess download Ethereal at your own risk then.
I really can't understand how people can be so proud on crashing engines and the associated security risk that they even mark it as "won't fix". As if basic string parsing cost Elo or were that much work to implement. :?:
Rasmus Althoff