leela is official(?) better than sf9

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
stavros
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:29 am

leela is official(?) better than sf9

Post by stavros » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:29 am

https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escap ... EZrOemKZ9U

read it,,better than sf9..any doubts?

sf9 cant stand with 4-6 cores anymore vs 1080ti lc0

another shock! even with nvidia 980

https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escap ... K_oNeQHU2M

User avatar
Laskos
Posts: 9324
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: leela is official(?) better than sf9

Post by Laskos » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:40 am

stavros wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:29 am
https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escap ... EZrOemKZ9U

read it,,better than sf9..any doubts?

sf9 cant stand with 4-6 cores anymore vs 1080ti lc0
Probably false, and anyway, the conditions are not fair price-wise, a 4-6 core old i7 is 2 times cheaper than 1080ti. I would guess that on 1080ti Lc0 with a good net is the level of SF8 on 4-6 cores.

User avatar
Laskos
Posts: 9324
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: leela is official(?) better than sf9

Post by Laskos » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:45 am

stavros wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:29 am
another shock! even with nvidia 980

https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escap ... K_oNeQHU2M
I am not sure, maybe I missed something, but I had 11199 tested. Ponder is ON there, which degrades SF8 to 2 cores, while not degrading Lc0. But the result is anyway strange.

Jouni
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Re: leela is official(?) better than sf9

Post by Jouni » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:35 pm

In CCC1 Leela is drawing with many weak engines even with super hardware. Like draw vs Crafty with +8 evaluation. This confirms also AlphaZero was a hoax! Maybe after 2 years things change?
Jouni

jkiliani
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: leela is official(?) better than sf9

Post by jkiliani » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Jouni wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:35 pm
In CCC1 Leela is drawing with many weak engines even with super hardware. Like draw vs Crafty with +8 evaluation. This confirms also AlphaZero was a hoax! Maybe after 2 years things change?
This confirms absolutely nothing. AlphaZero most likely found solutions for the issues still affecting Leela, like endgame conversion, hardware parallelisation etc.

Damir
Posts: 2104
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:53 pm

Re: leela is official(?) better than sf9

Post by Damir » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:30 pm

Leela is buggy. GPU version of it is resigning games on its own, sometimes after only few moves, and sometimes in the middle of the game.... :( :(
I hope this can be fixed, so Leela can play normally, like all other engines do... It seems there is some kind of a bug in GPU code… I have not experienced any problems with CPU version of it...

Nay Lin Tun
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: leela is official(?) better than sf9

Post by Nay Lin Tun » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:05 pm

Damir wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:30 pm
Leela is buggy. GPU version of it is resigning games on its own, sometimes after only few moves, and sometimes in the middle of the game.... :( :(
I hope this can be fixed, so Leela can play normally, like all other engines do... It seems there is some kind of a bug in GPU code… I have not experienced any problems with CPU version of it...
I tested series of Lco engines (crem complies) starting from very earlier beta versions . I never experience buggy problem. There are also hundreds of people using leela, and bug report is rare. It is likely that you have some problem in installation! (may be ask for help in leela discord)

Damir
Posts: 2104
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:53 pm

Re: leela is official(?) better than sf9

Post by Damir » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Try and play on Playchess server with a GPU version of Leela and you will see for yourself...

Chessqueen
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:16 am
Full name: Nancy M Pichardo

Re: leela is official(?) better than sf9

Post by Chessqueen » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:38 pm

The latest version of Leela the one that play in the final against Komodo for the World championship is almost as strong as Komodo if NOT stronger the only reason why it lost to Komodo when it was a dead draw, was due to a slow operator who lost in time, but inside of Leela the program had enoug or sufficient time to draw the game. The Komodo team knowing that it was a dead draw decided to beat it in time since they knew that the operator of Leela did NOT have sufficient experience to move the piece as fast as the operator who move the pieces for Komodo.

Robert Pope
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:27 pm

Re: leela is official(?) better than sf9

Post by Robert Pope » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:04 pm

I think "the latest version of Leela" is probably an oxymoron. :)

Post Reply