leela is official(?) better than sf9

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

stavros

leela is official(?) better than sf9

Post by stavros »

https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escap ... EZrOemKZ9U

read it,,better than sf9..any doubts?

sf9 cant stand with 4-6 cores anymore vs 1080ti lc0

another shock! even with nvidia 980

https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escap ... K_oNeQHU2M
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: leela is official(?) better than sf9

Post by Laskos »

stavros wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:29 am https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escap ... EZrOemKZ9U

read it,,better than sf9..any doubts?

sf9 cant stand with 4-6 cores anymore vs 1080ti lc0
Probably false, and anyway, the conditions are not fair price-wise, a 4-6 core old i7 is 2 times cheaper than 1080ti. I would guess that on 1080ti Lc0 with a good net is the level of SF8 on 4-6 cores.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

stavros wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:29 am another shock! even with nvidia 980

https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escap ... K_oNeQHU2M
I am not sure, maybe I missed something, but I had 11199 tested. Ponder is ON there, which degrades SF8 to 2 cores, while not degrading Lc0. But the result is anyway strange.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

In CCC1 Leela is drawing with many weak engines even with super hardware. Like draw vs Crafty with +8 evaluation. This confirms also AlphaZero was a hoax! Maybe after 2 years things change?
Jouni
jkiliani

Post by jkiliani »

Jouni wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:35 pm In CCC1 Leela is drawing with many weak engines even with super hardware. Like draw vs Crafty with +8 evaluation. This confirms also AlphaZero was a hoax! Maybe after 2 years things change?
This confirms absolutely nothing. AlphaZero most likely found solutions for the issues still affecting Leela, like endgame conversion, hardware parallelisation etc.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Leela is buggy. GPU version of it is resigning games on its own, sometimes after only few moves, and sometimes in the middle of the game.... :( :(
I hope this can be fixed, so Leela can play normally, like all other engines do... It seems there is some kind of a bug in GPU code… I have not experienced any problems with CPU version of it...
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

Damir wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:30 pm Leela is buggy. GPU version of it is resigning games on its own, sometimes after only few moves, and sometimes in the middle of the game.... :( :(
I hope this can be fixed, so Leela can play normally, like all other engines do... It seems there is some kind of a bug in GPU code… I have not experienced any problems with CPU version of it...
I tested series of Lco engines (crem complies) starting from very earlier beta versions . I never experience buggy problem. There are also hundreds of people using leela, and bug report is rare. It is likely that you have some problem in installation! (may be ask for help in leela discord)
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Try and play on Playchess server with a GPU version of Leela and you will see for yourself...
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

The latest version of Leela the one that play in the final against Komodo for the World championship is almost as strong as Komodo if NOT stronger the only reason why it lost to Komodo when it was a dead draw, was due to a slow operator who lost in time, but inside of Leela the program had enoug or sufficient time to draw the game. The Komodo team knowing that it was a dead draw decided to beat it in time since they knew that the operator of Leela did NOT have sufficient experience to move the piece as fast as the operator who move the pieces for Komodo.
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope »

I think "the latest version of Leela" is probably an oxymoron. :)