Calculate the performance of a position

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

giovanni

Calculate the performance of a position

Post by giovanni »

Is there any tool that, given a EPD string, can measure its outcome in terms of wins,loss and draws in a pgn file?
I know that several GUIs like SCID and Chessbase can perform this operation, but I would like to do it from the command line since I need to automatize the procedure. Linux is preferred, but anything will do the trick.
Thanks in advance.
Colin-G

Re: Calculate the performance of a position

Post by Colin-G »

giovanni wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:28 pm Is there any tool that, given a EPD string, can measure its outcome in terms of wins,loss and draws in a pgn file?
I know that several GUIs like SCID and Chessbase can perform this operation, but I would like to do it from the command line since I need to automatize the procedure. Linux is preferred, but anything will do the trick.
Thanks in advance.
Xboard could be used.
e.g.

Code: Select all

xboard -mg 1 -fd ./mychess/engines/crafty/v25.2 -fcp ./crafty-lnx64 -sd ./mychess/engines/crafty/v25.2 -scp ./crafty-lnx64 -lpf ./mychess/cg20.epd -lpi 2 -sgf temp.pgn
-lpf loads the position file
-lpi is the file index, i.e. in the above example the second position is used.
Obviously a variable could be used in a bash script to step through positions.
-sgf is the save game file in pgn format.
Parameters for time per position need to be set and other desired options.
See the xboard man page for further details.
Type "man xboard > xboard_manual.txt" for a hard copy to search.
If a UCI engine is required for analysis, it can be used with polyglot plus a polyglot.ini file.
e.g. -fd ./mychess/polyglot -fcp ./"polyglot stockfish.ini"
and -sd ./mychess/polyglot -scp ./"polyglot stockfish.ini"
This all works ok in Mint 18.1, I just tested it.
giovanni

Re: Calculate the performance of a position

Post by giovanni »

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately my question wasn't very clear. I need to determine the number of wins, losses and draws (and may be the Elo performance) of a given position in a database in pgn format, not the resulting score in a match between two engines. Sorry for being very clear in my question.