What countries produces the best Chess . . . Computer Engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

beatyourchess
Full name: Eric LeClair

What countries produces the best Chess . . . Computer Engines

Post by beatyourchess »

So we all know the best chess players come from Eastern European countries (At least the majority).

However, who produces the best workforce that creates these prolific Chess computer engines?

Where are the majority of the coders who've produced such machines usually from?

Again, nothing political, it'll just be fun to know. Plus I think it would be a strong reflection on how strong the education system is of that particular nation.
fern

Re: What countries produces the best Chess . . . Computer Engines

Post by fern »

They are the countries with a critical mass of engineers, chess market or chess fans, etc.
So they are almost all opf them of the so called "first world": USA, UK, Francem germany, netherlands, Spain -if it is a first world country- and some from Italy.
There are other countries where some engines has been produced ad Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Iran, Russia. Not first world countries but enough sophisticated for that.

Fern
Colin-G

Post by Colin-G »

Examining my records, up to and including 2004, I had 11 different engines from Germany and 6 from France.
Looking at the current list of engines that I have installed in Arena, Germany is still in front with 17 but second place is the USA with 14 engines and France third with 9.
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

Russia a third-world country? I suspect that fern and most (not all) of the posters here don't live on the same planet.
Tirsa Poppins
CCRL
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Colin-G wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:34 pm Examining my records, up to and including 2004, I had 11 different engines from Germany and 6 from France.
Looking at the current list of engines that I have installed in Arena, Germany is still in front with 17 but second place is the USA with 14 engines and France third with 9.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =119935385

IIRC a few weeks ago I added again country stats to the stats of the RWBC chronology.
(before I left them out, because I didn't like possible nationalistic abuse, but I relaxed my view on this meanwhile)
Engines with developers from more than 3 different countries are lsited as 'world', Engines with developers from
two diff. countries are counted as half an entry.
Only engines complying to the chronology standard are counted of course.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

tpoppins wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:55 pmRussia a third-world country?
Given the numbers one, two and three, "not one" does not necessarily mean three. When the terms of first and third world originated in the previous century, the second world was the Eastern bloc with the USSR and its satellite states.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

Thank you for the explanation, Ras. So you mean it's the same planet, just different centuries? ;)
Tirsa Poppins
CCRL
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

I haven't done a rigorous analysis but Germany and the Netherlands seem to over-represent when it comes to computer chess, followed by the UK. The US does quite well but if you corrected for population I'm not sure it's close to the top.

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine