Chess Engines with Opening Book

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mephisto

Re: Chess Engines with Opening Book

Post by mephisto »

Hi Graham
Yes I read that!
Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

CT800 doesn't have a config file, but the internal book can be disabled via the standard UCI "ownbook" command.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
jp

Post by jp »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:17 pm The Cerebellum book used by Brainfish is external. It is not part of the executable. It is just an advanced book made by mini-maxing a huge pile of chess data.

It is a more sophisticated format than polyglot books (and the data is better than most polyglot books), but I still consider it to be rather primitive.
Is it possible for other engines to use it?
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

jp wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:50 am
Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:17 pm The Cerebellum book used by Brainfish is external. It is not part of the executable. It is just an advanced book made by mini-maxing a huge pile of chess data.

It is a more sophisticated format than polyglot books (and the data is better than most polyglot books), but I still consider it to be rather primitive.
Yes, there is a library for it.
However, only the "reduced" book is free. You have to pay for the full version.
If you look at Sedat's book contests, it is no longer the strongest book.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:17 pm
mephisto wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:16 pm I think my post was misleading, sorry.
What I meant to say was, are there any other PC chess engines that have an opening book within their .exe file.
This is not really accurate.
The Cerebellum book used by Brainfish is external. It is not part of the executable. It is just an advanced book made by mini-maxing a huge pile of chess data.
In a first attempt I wanted to write the same, but then I remembered that the very first versions of Brainfish really had
the book compiled into the binary. (I still have one of them here)
Actually this is more or less just a gimmick, which has only disadvantages.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
Ras

Post by Ras »

Guenther wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:04 amActually this is more or less just a gimmick, which has only disadvantages.
The main problem of course is that modifying the book requires a recompile so that it can't be replaced easily. For me, the reason is that the embedded target hardware doesn't have a file system, which leaves a bytewise C array as only useful option. The PC version just has the same code for the book.
Rasmus Althoff
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

jp wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:50 am

The current cerebellum book is in polyglot format and can be used by any GUI that reads that format - either directly or through the polyglot adapter. As an example, I just tested the Cerebellum book from brainfish and it works with Komodo under the xBoard GUI. With brainfish, of course, you can use two books,the cerebellum book and a separate polyglot book attached to the GUI.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Ras wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:46 am
Guenther wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:04 amActually this is more or less just a gimmick, which has only disadvantages.
The main problem of course is that modifying the book requires a recompile so that it can't be replaced easily. For me, the reason is that the embedded target hardware doesn't have a file system, which leaves a bytewise C array as only useful option. The PC version just has the same code for the book.
It is quite easy to link arbitrary files in an executable.

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/em ... rsion-5967

EDIT I assume that with fmemopen you can even get an ordinary FILE pointer to the embedded file so that the required code changes are minimal.
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.
Ras

Post by Ras »

Michel wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:49 pmIt is quite easy to link arbitrary files in an executable.
Yeah, that's also an option. I also need to convert the book from the variant based edit format to the position based runtime format, so there has to be a converter program in-between anyway, and that puts out an autogenerated C file with data, metadata and some defines. xxd can do that for files that don't need a conversion.
Rasmus Althoff