Schooner 2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Schooner 2

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Hi Dennis,

Are you planning on adding multi-PV support at some point?

This guy (Mr. Schooner 2) is going to be one of my primary analysis engines - especially for endgames/queenless middlegames.

Imagine analyzing your endgames with Carlsen :lol:

This is my view of Schooner at this point.
D Sceviour

Post by D Sceviour »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:14 am Are you planning on adding multi-PV support at some point?
Schooner prefers to analyze positions rather than moves. However there are more uci commands planned for the future, so maybe a multi-PV routine can be patched into the engine. As a suggestion, try opening more than one instance of the engine and then look at different moves at the same time.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

D Sceviour wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:15 pm
BrendanJNorman wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:14 am Are you planning on adding multi-PV support at some point?
Schooner prefers to analyze positions rather than moves. However there are more uci commands planned for the future, so maybe a multi-PV routine can be patched into the engine. As a suggestion, try opening more than one instance of the engine and then look at different moves at the same time.
Great idea.
D Sceviour

Post by D Sceviour »

Schooner has an invitation to TCEC season 14 starting next week. Thank you for everybody who was interested, and I hope it will be interesting for everybody. 8-)
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

D Sceviour wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:00 pm Schooner has an invitation to TCEC season 14 starting next week. Thank you for everybody who was interested, and I hope it will be interesting for everybody. 8-)
I told them to invite you, they thought your engine was not multi-thread compatible, thank me later :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Just kidding, will be nice to see Schooner kicking ass in div4, it will breeze past all the engines there, probably directly to div2 or div1 8-)
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls
D Sceviour

Post by D Sceviour »

Here is the update version 2.0.34.

https://sites.google.com/site/schoonerchess/downloads

The major fix was for a heap error that prevented memory allocations larger than 1 GB. Memory allocation has now been tested successful up to 14 GB on my hardware. Hashing Statistics is maintained for future memory allocation and thread tuning.

For those who might be interested, "dhash" displays hashing statistics. To use in a console,

(1) First type "new" to clear the hash table.
(2) Load a position or use start position, and then
(3) "analyze" or "go" to fill in the hash table.
(4) Type "dhash" to view hashing statistics.
(5) Run for different times, hash memory, cores or node counts and compare.

The engine benefits with 2 cores over 1 core. Theoretically there are 128 threads available. However, testing was done on a 4-core machine so there is no useful data on threading performance above 4 cores.

UCI position fen moves was added. However, UCI was included to solve difficulties in earlier versions with xboard timers and different GUI's. The xboard timers are working fine now, so I am losing interest with updating UCI.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

I hope to test Schooner soon against a mystery 2600 gm. I am sure this engine's style will be very interesting for him. BTW, is there an Android version coming soon?
D Sceviour

Post by D Sceviour »

menniepals wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:28 pm BTW, is there an Android version coming soon?
Good question. :?:
Other engines have Android versions. Are Winboard protocol and Linux Android compatible? Can the engine be ported by another GUI into Android? idk. :roll:
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

D Sceviour wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:00 pm Here is the update version 2.0.34.

https://sites.google.com/site/schoonerchess/downloads

The major fix was for a heap error that prevented memory allocations larger than 1 GB. Memory allocation has now been tested successful up to 14 GB on my hardware. Hashing Statistics is maintained for future memory allocation and thread tuning.
Thanks Dennis. Good timing. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Thanks a lot!