Komodo 12.2.1

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mjlef

Re: Komodo 12.2.1

Post by mjlef »

Ozymandias wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:24 am
lkaufman wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:20 amKomodo is not a big enough business to be able to test every release under every possible circumstance.
From what I'm seen in these threads and past Komodo bug fixes, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the business size, but rather with the amount of active testers you've got. As long as the team keeps refusing testers, I don't think another explanation can be given, other than it happens because you let it happen.
It is interesting you said that because I had a similar conversation yesterday and asked a few of the people who report things to act as future official testers. This will slow down releases a bit, but improve overall quality so we will be doing this. I suppose we have had less testers mostly because most rarely report anything, but that just means we need to find the right people. So I welcome requests for more testers.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

mjlef wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:43 pmI welcome requests for more testers.
As I said back in February, I'm ready to oblige if you deem it suitable (I'd advise a reread of my PM back then, in order to determine interest). A reply, in any case, would be welcome this time.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Ozymandias wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:59 pm
As I said back in February, I'm ready to oblige if you deem it suitable (I'd advise a reread of my PM back then, in order to determine interest). A reply, in any case, would be welcome this time.
Did you have a different login name then? If so we did exchange messages and I did respond. If not, then I never got a message from you here.
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

Ozymandias wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:24 am
lkaufman wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:20 amKomodo is not a big enough business to be able to test every release under every possible circumstance.
From what I'm seen in these threads and past Komodo bug fixes, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the business size, but rather with the amount of active testers you've got. As long as the team keeps refusing testers, I don't think another explanation can be given, other than it happens because you let it happen.
I....tend to agree. And have maintained that Subscribers (as I was...twice I think) would be the perfect testers...they already purchase and have bought into the project - real world test environment among actual users. People wanting to be testers just for 'free engines', runs again any business model. :(
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

mjlef wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:35 pm
Ozymandias wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:59 pm
Did you have a different login name then? If so we did exchange messages and I did respond. If not, then I never got a message from you here.
Same name. I did get a reply from another message on a different subject, a couple of months later.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

kasinp wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:35 pm It brings me no pleasure to report a new and I believe serious bug:

Under Fritz GUI, engine match, Komodo 12.2.1 does not release one of the threads and continues to use the CPU *on opponent’s time* with NO PONDER selected.

This behavior does not start immediately; it appears to kick in at some point, but always during the first game of the match. When it begins, I have not seen it go away, i.e. it persists for the remainder of the match.

I have not seen this behavior before and I do run hundreds of 3+2 games daily, under identical conditions. I tested Komodo 12.2.1 this morning on several 8 thread POPCOUNT CPUs, and to be sure also on a 28-thread BMI2 machine. Same symptoms:

On opponent’s time, with the other engine reporting 50% CPU usage, on an 8-thread machine Komodo at some point starts showing 12.5% CPU usage and does not fully release one thread from that point on. On its own time Komodo reports the expected 50% CPU.

Tested under both Fritz 16 and Fritz 14 GUI.
PK
This issue and all the others in this thread has been fixed in Komodo 12.2.2. I thank all the people who reported and helped test the fixed version. Komodo 12.2 owners and active subscribers can get your copies on komodochess.com.