Stockfish for ios

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

h1a8

Stockfish for ios

Post by h1a8 »

It seems like other programs using the stockfish engine are much slower than the original stockfish app from Tord (maybe that's why they don't report kn/s?).
The original stockfish app (where we do benchmarks here on) reaches depth 25 in between 8-13 seconds. Where apps such as "smallfish" and "analysis this" takes more than 20 seconds to reach depth 25. I wonder if these programs are using all the threads and are 64bit?

Ipad pro is powerful for chess.
Is there a program for ios that uses the stockfish 9 engine or later and utilizes all the threads for ios devices and is 64bit?

I wish the original stockfish app would get updated to stockfish 10 while adding the feature of multiple analysis arrows for both sides and even 2ply fainter arrows (like in droidfish).
Tord may you please update this wonderful app.
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Re: Stockfish for ios

Post by kinderchocolate »

h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Well those other programs are not using all of the threads.
Stockfish by Tord doesn't either by default. I had to enable all threads in the options menu.
royb

Post by royb »

h1a8 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:05 pm
Well those other programs are not using all of the threads.
Stockfish by Tord doesn't either by default. I had to enable all threads in the options menu.
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say: "I had to enable all threads in the options menu." In the Stockfish app from Tord, there is no setting in there for threads. At least no on my iPad (iPad Pro 11 inch).

I see no way to tune the number of threads that Stockfish uses with that app. There is a toggle for thinking on the opponent's time, but that is not the same thing as changing the number of threads.

I too would really like to see a modern Stockfish engine in this app as an update!
Lion

Post by Lion »

I was wondering exactly the same yesterday night about analyse this!??
For me, analyse this is good as one can generate sub lines when analyzing but it’s unclear how many cores are used, and what speed it goes?

I also really hope we can have a iOS Stockfish 9 engine that uses all power of the iPad Pro 11 and on which I can analyze sub lines.