1.e4 c5 2.b3 ...?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: 1.e4 c5 2.b3 ...?

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Analyzing move 2 with engines is completely useless in my opinion.

Better to consult a good opening book, such as Ftacnik's GM Repertoire on the Sicilian Defense.

Computers have no idea and even if they did, they won't explain it to you.

I'd suggest choosing a setup as black (based on say, Ftacnik's recommendation vs 2.b3) and analyzing the resulting tabiyas with the engine.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Grandmaster Repertoire 06 - The Sicilian Defence - Ftacnik (2010):
Last edited by Damir on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeyondCritics
Full name: Oliver Roese

Post by BeyondCritics »

@NbrendanJNorman I just want to discuss this interesting move 2...g6!? with anyone who is interested in it. If you think this is useless, why can't you simply shut up and please stop trolling me!
I think it is absolutely incredible that i can not even have a single thread in this forum without getting dragged in absolutely idiotic fights. Can you simply talk about chess?
I mean: If you want it, tell me a time and we carry it out on lichess.
@Damir I am not interested in pirated content. I have reported your post to the admins. GM Ftacnik is my friend and he produces excellent analysis. If you want to study him, go buy an E-Book on amazon from him.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Sorry I had no idea was not allowed to post the link to this book. Mods may delete the link if they want to.
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

BeyondCritics wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:33 am @NbrendanJNorman I just want to discuss this interesting move 2...g6!? with anyone who is interested in it. If you think this is useless, why can't you simply shut up and please stop trolling me!
I think it is absolutely incredible that i can not even have a single thread in this forum without getting dragged in absolutely idiotic fights. Can you simply talk about chess?
Something tells me your anger has nothing to do with me... :roll:

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. Why so quick to anger?
BeyondCritics wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:33 am I mean: If you want it, tell me a time and we carry it out on lichess.
I assume you are above 2100 Elo?
BeyondCritics

Post by BeyondCritics »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:09 am
BeyondCritics wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:33 am @NbrendanJNorman I just want to discuss this interesting move 2...g6!? with anyone who is interested in it. If you think this is useless, why can't you simply shut up and please stop trolling me!
Something tells me your anger has nothing to do with me... :roll:

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. Why so quick to anger?
Because you are so ignorant. Seemingly you have an elo around 2100. That should be more than enough to comprehend, what i wanted to talk about. That must mean, you didn't spend even a second to ponder on the topic i wanted to discuss. Instead i am confronted with baseless preconceptions, like "Analyzing move 2 with engines is completely useless" or basically that i am a patzer and should better take advice from someone who is knowledegable.
Regarding the latter, well my offer still stands.
Regarding he former, yes it is really surprising, but even in 2018 it is possible to refute a whole lot of opening theory. I simply wanted to share the joy in doing that. But now i begin to understand i have greatly overestimated the average analysing capability in this forum. I thought it is so simple. Just open a pgn file in say scid and click around until you are satisfied.
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

BeyondCritics wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:05 pm
Instead i am confronted with baseless preconceptions, like "Analyzing move 2 with engines is completely useless"
No. Not "baseless preconceptions".

Engine analysis on move two is so volatile and with such heavy swings of evaluation to make it unreliable for real opening preparation.

Stockfish has a very low chance of coming up with realistic ideas so early simply because it lacks planning ability.

Here's an example from move SEVEN - where SF has an even better chance to coming up with a good idea.

Sure enough...NOPE. Instead of what human GMs might play - some English attack setup with 7.f3 Nbd7 8.Qd2 b5 9.0-0-0 etc - Stockfish wants to do some random stuff like 7.Qf3 and 9.Nxc6?!.

Wait a bit longer and he wants to play the "super aggressive" 7.a3.

This is how engines analyze non-concrete positions without the guidance of a decent human player. Haphazardly, and with frequent changing of its mind.

You need to guide the engine in the right direction - not just follow it's ideas blindly.

And this Najdorf position is still much more concrete than the position after 2.b3 in the Sicilian...

So how reliable to you think the analysis would be? Even with a super-computer, I'd say not very...

And this is why I suggested (as a coach of 12 years and an approx 2200 Elo player) to find a tabiya from a repertoire book and use Stockfish to find ideas in more concrete positions.

I have friends who are trainers (and very strong players) who would give exactly the same "ignorant" advice.
BeyondCritics wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:05 pm
...or basically that i am a patzer and should better take advice from someone who is knowledegable.
This is all in your head. I never said this at all, seemingly your persecution complex made you see something that doesn't exist.

The same persecution complex that made you say to MikeB "I have no idea what do you think entitels you to accuse me out of the blue to be a cheater." despite the fact that he said no such thing.

Try to be polite to people unless they insult you directly - most people are simply trying to help.

If you feel somebody is insulting you, read their words carefully and critically, and ask yourself: "Is this really their intent, or am I paranoid"?

Because you probably are.
BeyondCritics

Post by BeyondCritics »

I had given you the opportunity to carry it out over the board. Instead you are insulting me as insane. Brendan, please don't drive it too far! I know that you have already a history in this forum. And i have read what you have written, it was akward. I don't want to be your next victim, therefore i stop this discussion.
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

BeyondCritics wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:30 am I had given you the opportunity to carry it out over the board. Instead you are insulting me as insane. Brendan, please don't drive it too far! I know that you have already a history in this forum. And i have read what you have written, it was akward. I don't want to be your next victim, therefore i stop this discussion.
My reputation proceeds me. :lol:

Never knew I had "victims" though - that's an interesting revelation.

Okay then, I don't have anything else to say.

EXCEPT...I do agree that 2...g6 is quite interesting against the 2.b3 Sicilian. :wink:

It really gives white some opportunities to overextend whilst trying to "punish" you.

But again...this is mostly psychological and outside the realm of computer analysis.