Tarrasch GUI 3.10c is Available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Tarrasch GUI 3.10c is Available

Post by rcmaddox »

An update to the Tarrasch GUI is available. I just noticed this. Look here ---->> http://www.triplehappy.com/
Bill Forster

Re: Tarrasch GUI 3.10c is Available

Post by Bill Forster »

Thanks for your interest in Tarrasch. I appreciate your posts about it on here, they generate traffic to my site, although so far never any discussion :-(

It might be better to link to the news page that describes the changes https://triplehappy.com/News.html

Or the Github page for the project https://github.com/billforsternz/tarrasch-chess-gui

Best wishes,

Bill Forster, author of Tarrasch Chess GUI
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

Nice GUI. If you could add engine vs engine support and a tournament manager I think that a lot of people is going to use it.
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Edsel Apostol wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:13 pm Nice GUI. If you could add engine vs engine support and a tournament manager I think that a lot of people is going to use it.
Very likely.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

I find that Tarrasch is a very useful program.

It's not an all-purpose GUI. You can't use it for engine matches, for example. But almost every day of my life I'm visiting chess websites and reviewing games and problems at these sites. Tarrasch is perfect for quickly setting up a position or playing through a PGN with a chess engine. It's lightweight, when compared with Fritz or Aquarium, and that's a virtue.
Bill Forster

Post by Bill Forster »

Adding engine v engine is not a priority for me. Having said that this seems to be my hobby for life now, so who knows someday it might happen. I can understand why people (computer chess fans) on this forum focus on engine v engine of course.

Tarrasch is not really a program for computer chess people, it's a program for chess people. I think computer chess is actually a tiny (although very interesting and worthwhile of course) niche.

Engine v engine is a solved problem, there are programs for that, and even if they are difficult to use it doesn't really matter because the people who are interested are the same kind of people who are happy to dig into the messy guts to work out how to get what they want done.

When I started 10 years ago I did not think a really easy to use program for chess players who are not computer nerds was a solved problem and so that was my focus. I like to think I have succeeded, I get plenty of positive feedback to that effect, lots of downloads, a nice trickle of donations, but Tarrasch remains a fairly low profile project so I suppose I am not done yet.
Eduard
Full name: N.N.

Post by Eduard »

Thank You!

Question: I always see a kibitzing 3-variant mode. Can that be changed?
Bill Forster

Post by Bill Forster »

No I am sorry, I my engine analysis/kibitz window always shows the top four (not three) engine moves and follow up play. I chose the number four right at the start - a kind of simplifying compromise. I actually get asked to fix this limitation all the time and it is now a very high priority - I will try and get to it in the next month or so.
Eduard

Post by Eduard »

Bill Forster wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:56 am No I am sorry, I my engine analysis/kibitz window always shows the top four (not three) engine moves and follow up play. I chose the number four right at the start - a kind of simplifying compromise. I actually get asked to fix this limitation all the time and it is now a very high priority - I will try and get to it in the next month or so.
Sorry, the mistake was mine! My screen was wrong.
Another question: engines have more options than 6. Is it possible in the future, to edit more than only 6 parameters?
Eduard

Post by Eduard »

I ask therefore:

Set these 6 Parameters for Stockfish:

contempt
Threads
SyzygyPath
SyzygyProbeDepth
SyzygyProbeLimit
MultiPV

It works very well! But Stockfish has more options.