7 Man Syzygy and SSD

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Zenmastur
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:28 am

Re: 7 Man Syzygy and SSD

Post by Zenmastur » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27 pm

syzygy wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:34 pm
Zenmastur wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:19 am
syzygy wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:49 pm
Zenmastur wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:11 pm
By far the majority of the conversions from one EGTB to another occur by a piece being removed from the game due to capture. A quick look at game databases shows something like 85%+ will convert by captures.
Just as chess is about reaching a winning pawn endgame, so are pawn endgames about getting a pawn to promote.
Nice strawman!

But I don't believe it's true. Direct mating attacks, capturing pieces to gain a decisive material advantage, perpetual checks, three-move repetitions, and stalemates are all valid motifs in the endgame.
Fine, so you don't really know much about chess. Then we can end the conversation here.
Really? YOU don't know anything about me!

Is that the best you can do? You can't find any supporting evidence for your position so you resort to ad hominem attacks?

What a joke!

I agree though, if you aren't willing to add anything to the conversation other than personal attacks there is no point in continuing!

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

duncan
Posts: 11534
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: 7 Man Syzygy and SSD

Post by duncan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:04 pm

Zenmastur wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:11 pm


You seem to be saying that there is low/no correlation correlation between the number of TB hits that occur in the search and what shows up on the board. I'm not buying it. I'm assuming that what appears on the board has a VERY high correlation with what appeared in the search. But, if you have evidence to the contrary I'd be happy to consider it.
You seem to be quite happy to 'take on' the world's biggest expert in creating a compact 7 piece tablebase.

Perhaps you could adopt a more respectful tone, then maybe we could all learn something useful.

syzygy
Posts: 4608
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: 7 Man Syzygy and SSD

Post by syzygy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:40 pm

Zenmastur wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27 pm
syzygy wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:34 pm
Zenmastur wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:19 am
syzygy wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:49 pm
Zenmastur wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:11 pm
By far the majority of the conversions from one EGTB to another occur by a piece being removed from the game due to capture. A quick look at game databases shows something like 85%+ will convert by captures.
Just as chess is about reaching a winning pawn endgame, so are pawn endgames about getting a pawn to promote.
Nice strawman!

But I don't believe it's true. Direct mating attacks, capturing pieces to gain a decisive material advantage, perpetual checks, three-move repetitions, and stalemates are all valid motifs in the endgame.
Fine, so you don't really know much about chess. Then we can end the conversation here.
Really? YOU don't know anything about me!

Is that the best you can do? You can't find any supporting evidence for your position so you resort to ad hominem attacks?
Well, I am just not interested in you. You always have a lot to write, but there is never much that makes sense to me.

Zenmastur
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:28 am

Re: 7 Man Syzygy and SSD

Post by Zenmastur » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:07 pm

duncan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:04 pm
Zenmastur wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:11 pm


You seem to be saying that there is low/no correlation correlation between the number of TB hits that occur in the search and what shows up on the board. I'm not buying it. I'm assuming that what appears on the board has a VERY high correlation with what appeared in the search. But, if you have evidence to the contrary I'd be happy to consider it.
You seem to be quite happy to 'take on' the world's biggest expert in creating a compact 7 piece tablebase.
Your right I am!
Perhaps you could adopt a more respectful tone, then maybe we could all learn something useful.
I don't see any reason to show respect to someone that has gone out of their way to insult my intelligence for no apparent reason.

If you want to be led around with a set of blinders by someone that doesn't care if you fall off a cliff, be my guest. I don't plan to any time soon. And I have no clue why you think adopting a “more respectful tone” has anything to do with learning.

I guess it never occurred to you that the reason he chose to insult me instead of pointing out why the examples I gave aren't representative of reality is because he's wrong and he knows it. If I were wrong he would be ALL ABOUT pointing out why I was wrong and more than happy to mock me afterwards. Even more important, no one twisted his arm to enter the conversation. If he didn't want to participate or add anything to the conversation all he had to do was to start reading the next thread. So one wonders what the point was of him responding if didn't have any information to add to the conversation? Strikes me as kind of odd behavior!

Since all we see from him is the "mocking part" it safe to conclude he's as FOS as a Christmas turkey. I know that's true because unlike you I actually tested my theories. He's never going to admit he's wrong because he's too stubborn, prideful, AND WAY too worried about his reputation!

So, if you think he deserves respect then you can bow down and worship him all you want. Just don't expect me to join you any time soon!

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Scacchista1977
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Italy
Full name: Aleandro Rossi

Re: 7 Man Syzygy and SSD

Post by Scacchista1977 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:06 am

hi all, does anyone have information on which syzygy 7 man are most frequently used by engines?

Hai
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:19 am

Re: 7 Man Syzygy and SSD

Post by Hai » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:32 am

Use some 7-man syzygy with the SmallFish Chess for Stockfish app.

If someone has Cfish 11 or Asmfish 11 ready, please sent it to the SmallFish developer, he is waiting.

Scacchista1977
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Italy
Full name: Aleandro Rossi

Re: 7 Man Syzygy and SSD

Post by Scacchista1977 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:09 pm

I Re-ask the question more clearly: I would like to download some syzygy 7man in a 2TB ssd, which one do you recommend to download?

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 4220
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: 7 Man Syzygy and SSD

Post by MikeB » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:27 pm

Scacchista1977 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:09 pm
I Re-ask the question more clearly: I would like to download some syzygy 7man in a 2TB ssd, which one do you recommend to download?
You are so close. ;>)

Start at page 1 of this thread. That is what this thread was initially about.
Image

Post Reply