stockfish contempt vs superior machine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

stavros

stockfish contempt vs superior machine

Post by stavros »

hi. just a question
the default contempt is 24, what if i have a slow machine (smartphone) vs 16 core pc
now the stockfish will play risky game with bad results
it not now contempt=0 better? or small minus like -10?
stavros

Re: stockfish contempt vs superior machine

Post by stavros »

nobody?

can anyone help? for example smarphone(750kn/s) st10 vs 16 core pc with houdini 6
sf10 contempt=24 or 0?
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

The strength difference seems too large. No contempt lowering could compensate. For small difference I have said that I think now Stockfish is tuned with contempt so much against itself I would just leave it on always unless it bothers you but it is anybody's guess what actually happens until you try it. On Fishcooking the idea is that it superscales :) No wrong, it hyperscales There you go, I did not know that word even existed :P
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
stavros

Post by stavros »

ok i played manualy 2 sets of 10 games
smartphone 900kn sf10 c=24 vs my pc 4 cores 6700kn/s (houdini 5) score 0-6-4 WDL
----------------------------------c=0-----------------------------------------------------------score 0-8-2 WDL

and yes opticaly watching the games the c=0 is nore solid and when it loses is very hard for pc (at endgames after tough battle)
with c=24 the sf10 the style is very loose and the pc outplays it more easy and early midlegames
so the contempt is only for weaker engines.if the hardware is weak for example 4 cores vs 16 core the 4 core machine must have lower contempt
aim wrong?
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

I think you're right stavros. Based on the fact that hardware is uneven lowering contempt to 0 or even negative is probably ideal for the weaker side.

I'm yet not sure which minus value is appropriate for that case. Any suggestion for slow machine (smartphone) vs 16 core pc?

Now i think it's safe to say that Houdini 6 need negative contempt against stockfish dev. Negative 2 or minus 3 is good starting points.

Based on my observation: it's definitely harder for sf dev to beat h6 if Houdini use negative contempt (which encourage draw and safer play in general).

Value of 0 was ideal upon Houdini 6's release, sf is considerable stronger now.