program to generare epd file of tactical exercises from pgn

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Uri Blass

Re: program to generare epd file of tactical exercises from pgn

Post by Uri Blass » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:34 pm

USGroup1 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:02 am
Uri Blass wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:51 am

1)good moves in the pgn that are significantly stronger than the second best move
Every sequence of trading pieces fit that description, you need more filters. ChessTricks uses similar filters, you might find it useful for this.
https://chesstricksapp.wordpress.com
Every sequence of trading pieces when the reply is forced is of course a good exercise for human who are beginners and may miss a simple capture.
The target is to find good exercises for all levels of playing strength.

Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Dann Corbit wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:18 am
Uri Blass wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:59 am
Dann Corbit wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:36 pm
Uri Blass wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:15 pm
Here is an example that is easy for computers but not for weak humans(the woman with white solved it correctly).

find the best move for white.
Is there a best move if all move choices lose?
I think the game is already lost at that point.
From human point of view there are cases that yes and there are cases that no.

There is a difference between -2.45 and -6.80 by the computer unless the -6.80 is a very complex win that you are sure that there are good chances that even a strong human opponent is not going to find so maybe the -6.80 is practically better.

-2.45 by stockfish at depth 30 is not something that I usually expect humans to convert easily.

I cannot use only the evaluation of the computer to decide if the position is a good or bad test for humans and I need to use common sense.
At this point, I might not resign, even though it is clear to me that the game is lost (maybe a computer could draw it, but I do not think I could) if I played sensibly.

I might try this...

From here:

I might try to fork the rook and queen with my knight.

If the opponent did not think hard about it, they might recapture with the bishop, giving me a draw:

But chances are good I would just take a beating.
The target of the game is to give checkmate.
I can see without analysis that in this position black try to give checkmate so first line that I calculate after Ne6 is not Bxe6 but Qxg3
and I can easily calculate Ne6 Qxg3 Nxf8 Nh3+ Kh1 Ng4 with mate next move for black.
White needs to defend against mate attack and I consider Nf1 to be the best practical chance because I expect every human with fide rating above 1800 to find Qxg3 and win.

After Nf1 the win is not obvious and I guess at least most humans below 2300 are going to fail to win against perfect defence.
After Nf1 there is no easy win for black and I expect humans under 2250 not to win with black against stockfish(asssuming no special preperation).

USGroup1
Full name: Sina Vaziri

Post by USGroup1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Guenther wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:08 pm
Of course I did all of this.

After making an offline install of .Net 4.72 all works here. Seems sth was missing in my 4.7 installation?
Yes they added some stuff to .NET Framework 4.7 to fix some NuGet version mismatches. https://github.com/dotnet/announcements/issues/25

pferd

Post by pferd » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Do we know how pages like lichess come up with their tactical exercices. I enjoy doing them quite a bit