Chess Partner 6

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Chess Partner 6

Post by rcmaddox »

Chess Partner 6 by Lokasoft was announced 10 years ago, today. Who would have guessed that version 6 would be the last major release? (The Windows Store "Version 8" freebie doesn't count.) CP was my preferred GUI for years.

Here's wishing Lex will, at some point, resume development of this great GUI.
Ovyron

Re: Chess Partner 6

Post by Ovyron »

Meh, IIRC when I tried it out it was worse than 5.4, and since I had hacked the Engine Research Tool of 5.3 to change the graphics I saw no reason to move on.

After Winboard engines died (you know what I mean) there was no reason to use ChessPartner anymore, and it seemed to follow Shredder GUI's footsteps (new versions of the GUI are worse than the last ones)...
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Funny that you mention ChessPartner. It's my favorite GUI since 2003 to test changes due to its excellent engine options. See: http://www.lokasoft.nl/rebel12.aspx I am using version 5.3

I was just toying with the idea to make 2 special versions of ProDeo 2.9 and Rebelfish for ChessPartner only since it doesn't need the pop-up EDITPAD program as all info can be stored in the engine window with its tabulators -- and above all -- there is no need any longer to refresh EDITPAD tabulators with F4. In ChessPartner the tabulators are always up-to-date.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Rebel wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:59 am Funny that you mention ChessPartner. It's my favorite GUI since 2003 to test changes due to its excellent engine options. See: http://www.lokasoft.nl/rebel12.aspx I am using version 5.3

I was just toying with the idea to make 2 special versions of ProDeo 2.9 and Rebelfish for ChessPartner only since it doesn't need the pop-up EDITPAD program as all info can be stored in the engine window with its tabulators -- and above all -- there is no need any longer to refresh EDITPAD tabulators with F4. In ChessPartner the tabulators are always up-to-date.
I agree Lokasoft is still useful.....I would love to be able to run swiss style tourney...and I wish the board on the engine research tool was a bit bigger to view the games...one of my favorite engines is the Lchess series...even LC0 has trouble with the ultra defensive style of LChess.......some engines seem to play better in the Lokasoft gui also......why I don't know.
Also a window for engine ratings would be helpful when running the tourneys... :D :wink:
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

From a PM:
Subject: Chess Partner 6You hacked the engine research tool to change the graphics? How did you do it? Let me know..Thanks AR :D
With Resource Hacker:

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

It allows one to open dlls and exes and change the graphics (among... other things.)

This was like a decade ago, but it was simple. If I recall correctly, the E.R.T. has the graphic saved twice, once for normal graphics, and another time for alpha channels (it's a monochrome image where white will become transparent and black will remain solid.) Or maybe that was for Shredder Classic... (which I also hacked, and it was also easy to create custom pieces for board sizes.) But it's a painless process once you have the graphics that you want in it.
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.