Updating engines mid-tournament

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jesse Gersenson

Updating engines mid-tournament

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

For engine-engine tournaments, common practice is use one version of each engine for the duration of the event. Mid-event upgrades are not allowed.

1. what's the reason for this?
2. are there exceptions?
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Re: Updating engines mid-tournament

Post by Guenther »

Jesse Gersenson wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:29 pm For engine-engine tournaments, common practice is use one version of each engine for the duration of the event. Mid-event upgrades are not allowed.

2. are there exceptions?
  • it requires extra work (and wasn't easy in the past) and requires intervention in a normally automated process
  • it could be abused by triggerhappy developers (you won't be happy, if one is updating each round I guess?)
  • if the goal was some rating calculation too, it diminishes the number of games per entity
  • you need extra rules
  • A lot of tournaments in the past allowed 'updates' under certain circumstances (more or less as bugfix), or to a certain
    early fixed point in the tournament
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

1. In addition to Guenther's points, it rewards proper testing of the software, which is also part of the quality.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

Agreed on all points. On the other side, you would have (for example) Olivier Deville's excellent ChessWar and OpenWar tournaments, in which each round took 1-3 days. If you saw your engine do something stupid, or were working on something that you weren't QUITE finished with, you knew you could get a new version in as soon as it was ready. Olivier was very accommodating.

Sadly, Olivier stopped running these tournaments in 2012. I met many people at those tournaments that I still chat with.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

It is ideed a pitty that ChessWar was discontinued. It was the best Chess engine competition I have ever seen.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Jesse Gersenson wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:29 pm For engine-engine tournaments, common practice is use one version of each engine for the duration of the event. Mid-event upgrades are not allowed.

2. are there exceptions?
I allow updated versions to replace existing ones during my tournaments, as long as it's not past a certain point in the tournament.
Easy enough to do under ChessGUI.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Sergio Martinez

Post by Sergio Martinez »

hgm wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:50 pm It is ideed a pitty that ChessWar was discontinued. It was the best Chess engine competition I have ever seen.
I agree with that but adding the Leo tournaments. Two different systems but for me they were the most interesting tournaments I've seen.

On the other hand, the CCT tournaments also seemed very interesting.
Member of the CCRL Group. Write me if you want I test your engine.
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

Ah, yes, Leo Dijksman as well!

So happy that the CCRL is still going strong and also doing fun tournaments.