Lc0 GPU load

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

brianr

Re: Lc0 GPU load

Post by brianr »

I think he was having reliability issues with all 6 GPUs and found that it runs well with 2, per the subsequent posts at the link
Branko Radovanovic
Full name: Branko Radovanović

Post by Branko Radovanovic »

lovetb wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:46 am If I try to host the GPU out of the box using a raiser card adopter something like shown below, will it affect the performance?
The idea is to give the gpu more cooler air to breath & to cool down.
Additional case fans may be a better solution. It is basically the same idea: help the GPU fan by not letting the air inside the case get too warm. I had a front-mounted case fan, but it wasn't enough when LC0 was running, so I added a side-mounted fan, which is particularly convenient because it blows almost directly towards the graphics card. Works just fine. Another benefit of case fans is that they help cool the CPU as well.
lovetb
Full name: MR PRASHANTH KRISHNACHARI

Post by lovetb »

I have had the best cooling when I have had the case open & a small table fan blowing air towards the case.
The temperature has come down from around 84'C to 74'C.

Although extra fans will help , I suspect it won't be as effective. It might bring down the temperature by a couple of degrees.

Hosting it outside with ample cool ambient air is the best solution.

lovetb

Post by lovetb »

smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

lovetb wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:41 am Best cooling solution :)

https://youtu.be/e-cxkxtu1As?t=370
Nah...

https://youtu.be/8Zrf79tNDNg?t=174
--
Srdja
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Branko Radovanovic wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:56 pm
lovetb wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:46 am If I try to host the GPU out of the box using a raiser card adopter something like shown below, will it affect the performance?
The idea is to give the gpu more cooler air to breath & to cool down.
Additional case fans may be a better solution. It is basically the same idea: help the GPU fan by not letting the air inside the case get too warm. I had a front-mounted case fan, but it wasn't enough when LC0 was running, so I added a side-mounted fan, which is particularly convenient because it blows almost directly towards the graphics card. Works just fine. Another benefit of case fans is that they help cool the CPU as well.
It is best when running Lc0 to also have your case fans. Fan curve tied to the GPU temp. I don't know if the bios will allow this in all cases. I run with the Corsair commander pro, and this allows you to setup a fan curve for any equipment in your PC or temp prob.

At minimum I would recommend 1 120 mm fan for every 75 to 100 watts you PC can draw.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

lovetb wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:32 pm I have had the best cooling when I have had the case open & a small table fan blowing air towards the case.
The temperature has come down from around 84'C to 74'C.

Although extra fans will help , I suspect it won't be as effective. It might bring down the temperature by a couple of degrees.

Hosting it outside with ample cool ambient air is the best solution.

Case fans work well. I run around 63c. You are still running 10c hotter with your case opened. I can put the engines on ponder play and I max out at 69c. But you could have a issue in general with your case design. And the best solution would be to run open.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
lovetb

Post by lovetb »

mwyoung wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:32 pm Case fans work well. I run around 63c. You are still running 10c hotter with your case opened. I can put the engines on ponder play and I max out at 69c. But you could have a issue in general with your case design. And the best solution would be to run open.
I have a cooler master cosmos II case which is a massive. I did not have many case fans, just the stock fans. As I had Corsair hydro series coolers for the CPU, I did not face any issues util I bought the RTX card.

I took your advice & installed 4 additional case fans fans. Now I am getting same temperature as running it open.