Playing the endgame like a boss !!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
carldaman
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Playing the endgame like a boss !!

Post by carldaman » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:36 pm

Back in the days of Houdini2 I experimented with computer-assisted correspondence chess.
I remember getting a clear advantage in a particular game, the exchange for a pawn, but
then I reached a critical juncture where I sensed that Houdini and the other top engines
could easily let the game drift into some sort of endgame fortress where winning would have
been very problematic. H2 was particularly bad at making progress in close-to-winning positions.

So, at this point I resorted to something I normally didn't have to do -- I called into service some
lower rated, second-tier engines, even running on a single core, and after several days of searching
with several engines overnight (something I usually stayed away from) and one of them produced a
clear path to victory by boldly saccing the h-pawn for more Rook activity.

The engine that came through? Strelka 5.5 :-)

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 2508
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: Playing the endgame like a boss !!

Post by Ovyron » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:52 am

jp wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:11 am
Ovyron wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:03 am
Oh, I've been testing this privately since 2007. Not only that, whenever a new engine pops up, I don't care about its ELO at all, I use it to analyze my Correspondence games against the strongest opposition I can find, and the same analysis methods that can beat some opponent easily, can easily lose against them if one uses very weak engines in comparison with what they're using.

The correlation between an engine's ELO and the true quality of its move choices is extraordinarily high.
Very interesting. Have you tested Lc like that yet?
I tried. Terrible results. Okay, so I couldn't even run it in my GPU, so this is Leela running on a 9 year old CPU. The "Time/Quality Ratio" forced me to stick to Depth 8. Depth 9 is just unbearable (specially when 99% of the time Leela sticks to its D8 choice and you waste whole minutes that just accumulate.)

This is the most useless thing I've used, even more useless than the SMIRF chess engine (which, I bring up, because, years ago, I used the SMIRF chess engine with success to analyze my human games, it provided great ideas easy to understand and gave me some insights on the moves that were good in the kind of positions I used to play, back when I was rated 1100; now that I'm rated 1700, lichess automatic system is good enough for me. Well, I tried using SMIRF for my correspondence chess analysis and its move choices were terrible, the most terrible I had seen since then. It was providing worse move choices than Zillions! And Zillions is an engine that can play any game that you program into it, so at corr chess, SMIRF was surprisingly bad.)

I've gone and used engines that are at the bottom of the CCRL list, and even TSCP was better than Leela. Do you know why? Because, at least, those engines will not show some 2.00 winning score for moves in positions, unless the 2 pawn advantage is real, or at least they think it's real. At least for the common positions that you will find in normal games (all engines will give huge scores to dead drawn positions now and then, but that's rare.)

Leela? Oh no, Leela will go and say "oh! ooooh! Look at this move! It's totally winning! awesome! go play it!", and you can go very deep and wide examining it, while the opposing engine (say, Stockfish) thinks it's a blunder, and Leela will remain stuck on stupid with really high scores, until finally you play a move that busts its variation, and Leela will agree it's a blunder (with huge swing in score.)

Back on the root, Leela still says "okay, that move was bad... but wait! See this one! It's gonna win you the game!", but what does Stockfish say? "Blunder!" And guess who is right...

Examining variations with Leela is almost like tossing a coin to check what move to analyze, and, hey, I can examine random moves by myself. It reminds me of the crazy personalities I was creating for Pro Deo back in the day, it'd show some PV where it was giving away a rook and a knight just to maximize the number of checks it was giving, but if you forces the moves, it'd realize it had ran out of checks and come back to the reality that it was losing.

Leela is just tactically blind.

No doubt there could be some critical position where Leela is the only one that suggest the best move or something, but most positions are quiet (several moves are playable, but all of them are ok, and you need a plan), or easy (Stockfish on MultiPV will quickly show there's a best move clearly better than the rest). If I had a detector of critical positions I'd use it before anything else every time, but I don't, so exploring losing blunders with Leela (because she thinks they're winning) is a losing proposition.

Sorry if I sound angry, I'm not, I'm passionate, because I was hoping to get more from Leela. Maybe I'd need some high end graphics card to enjoy the benefits. Good luck to the project, and I'm looking forward to be defeated by a corr chess opponent that uses Leela while I don't, because it'll be very clear I'd be defeated by a "science fiction move" (as kingscrusher calls them), but I'm not even sure those exist at 50 day/game with 50 day increment every 10 moves time control, where I'm defeated because my opponents are understanding better than me what is going on the chessboard, and no amount of engines or hardware can change that.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

jp
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:54 am

Re: Playing the endgame like a boss !!

Post by jp » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:03 pm

Ovyron wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:52 am
Sorry if I sound angry, I'm not, I'm passionate, because I was hoping to get more from Leela. Maybe I'd need some high end graphics card to enjoy the benefits.
No, you don't sound angry. That was a very entertaining description.

Yeah, I think you definitely need at least some GPU to enjoy any benefits.

If Kingcrusher thinks "science fiction move" is a compliment, he should think again about what "fiction" means.

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 2508
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: Playing the endgame like a boss !!

Post by Ovyron » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:51 pm

jp wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:03 pm
If Kingcrusher thinks "science fiction move" is a compliment, he should think again about what "fiction" means.
What he means is some chess moves that are so amazingly incredible that they seem taken out from a science fiction novel. Something that is real but seems unreal because of how unbelievable it is.

Leela has been playing those, moves so shocking I believe new ways to describe them were necessary.

The difference between immortal moves and science fiction moves would be that immortal ones are clearly best after some analysis, while "traditional engines" would never understand, and would never play science fiction moves. I'd go as far as saying that when chess engines like Leela prove superior in the general case (never playing worse than "traditional engines", only better), that it'll be because of such moves (in most positions you don't see anything special, and then BAM, you're left dumbfounded.)
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

jp
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:54 am

Re: Playing the endgame like a boss !!

Post by jp » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 am

Ovyron wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:51 pm
jp wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:03 pm
If Kingcrusher thinks "science fiction move" is a compliment, he should think again about what "fiction" means.
What he means is some chess moves that are so amazingly incredible that they seem taken out from a science fiction novel. Something that is real but seems unreal because of how unbelievable it is.

Leela has been playing those, moves so shocking I believe new ways to describe them were necessary.
Yeah, we know what he means. He's lost all objectivity.

The thing is: if they are so shocking, we cannot assume they are shockingly good. The moves we know are good are reproduced by the AB engines, so they're not out of this world.

MikeGL
Posts: 899
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Playing the endgame like a boss !!

Post by MikeGL » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:40 am

jp wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 am
Ovyron wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:51 pm
jp wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:03 pm
If Kingcrusher thinks "science fiction move" is a compliment, he should think again about what "fiction" means.
What he means is some chess moves that are so amazingly incredible that they seem taken out from a science fiction novel. Something that is real but seems unreal because of how unbelievable it is.

Leela has been playing those, moves so shocking I believe new ways to describe them were necessary.
...The moves we know are good are reproduced by the AB engines, so they're not out of this world.
Sorry but I disagree, I have seen endgames of Lc0 where winning moves can't be reproduced by AB engines because it involves zugzwang at the end of the PV which would win. Ok, but to be fair I have seen very strong tactical combinations of SF too with many mating nets at the end against Lc0, which Lc0 missed. So their mantra is:

NN-MCTS to AB: I will kill you with those hidden zugzwangs in endgame, because you're blind with those.
AB to NN_MCTS: I will kill you using tactics with mating nets because you can't see those things too.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

jp
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:54 am

Re: Playing the endgame like a boss !!

Post by jp » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:08 pm

MikeGL wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:40 am
Sorry but I disagree, I have seen endgames of Lc0 where winning moves can't be reproduced by AB engines because it involves zugzwang at the end of the PV which would win. Ok, but to be fair I have seen very strong tactical combinations of SF too with many mating nets at the end against Lc0, which Lc0 missed. So their mantra is:

NN-MCTS to AB: I will kill you with those hidden zugzwangs in endgame, because you're blind with those.
AB to NN_MCTS: I will kill you using tactics with mating nets because you can't see those things too.
Have you given those examples in this forum? They'd be interesting to see. I have seen countless examples of ridiculous endgame play by Lc0.

I think you're disagreeing that Lc0 plays endgames badly, not with the part you quoted. The words you quoted are about something else, whether it plays moves that are shockingly out of this world.

MikeGL
Posts: 899
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Playing the endgame like a boss !!

Post by MikeGL » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:33 pm

jp wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:08 pm
MikeGL wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:40 am
Sorry but I disagree, I have seen endgames of Lc0 where winning moves can't be reproduced by AB engines because it involves zugzwang at the end of the PV which would win. Ok, but to be fair I have seen very strong tactical combinations of SF too with many mating nets at the end against Lc0, which Lc0 missed. So their mantra is:

NN-MCTS to AB: I will kill you with those hidden zugzwangs in endgame, because you're blind with those.
AB to NN_MCTS: I will kill you using tactics with mating nets because you can't see those things too.
Have you given those examples in this forum? They'd be interesting to see. I have seen countless examples of ridiculous endgame play by Lc0.

I think you're disagreeing that Lc0 plays endgames badly, not with the part you quoted. The words you quoted are about something else, whether it plays moves that are shockingly out of this world.

I have posted this previously on a different thread and MikeB's 12-core took also minutes to find the correct moves, but this winning move below is 2 plies deeper so might be impossible for classical AB engines to find Qg5! move.
After Bc6 of black, white had a winning sequence with Qg5!! Kf7 (almost forced for black) then g4! 1-0 for Lc0.
[d]5rk1/p6p/1pb1q1pP/2p1Pp2/2Pp1P2/3B2Q1/P1P3P1/4R1K1 w - - 1 28
Not sure if AB engines can see the win with Qg5! move of white here. Quiet move, but forces a win due to zugzwang at the end.

As you can see on complete game below, Lc0 already saw a slight advantage at move 28 with +1.16 climbing to +2.57!.
Only on 34th move or 6 moves (12 plies) away did SF felt the loss probably because it only saw the zugzwang at the end of PV on 36th move.



Black is in complete zugzwang after 33. Bc2 of Lc0 and SF is forced to return materials to Lc0.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

MikeB
Posts: 3391
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: Playing the endgame like a boss !!

Post by MikeB » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm

MikeGL wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:33 pm
jp wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:08 pm
MikeGL wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:40 am
Sorry but I disagree, I have seen endgames of Lc0 where winning moves can't be reproduced by AB engines because it involves zugzwang at the end of the PV which would win. Ok, but to be fair I have seen very strong tactical combinations of SF too with many mating nets at the end against Lc0, which Lc0 missed. So their mantra is:

NN-MCTS to AB: I will kill you with those hidden zugzwangs in endgame, because you're blind with those.
AB to NN_MCTS: I will kill you using tactics with mating nets because you can't see those things too.
Have you given those examples in this forum? They'd be interesting to see. I have seen countless examples of ridiculous endgame play by Lc0.

I think you're disagreeing that Lc0 plays endgames badly, not with the part you quoted. The words you quoted are about something else, whether it plays moves that are shockingly out of this world.

I have posted this previously on a different thread and MikeB's 12-core took also minutes to find the correct moves, but this winning move below is 2 plies deeper so might be impossible for classical AB engines to find Qg5! move.
After Bc6 of black, white had a winning sequence with Qg5!! Kf7 (almost forced for black) then g4! 1-0 for Lc0.
[d]5rk1/p6p/1pb1q1pP/2p1Pp2/2Pp1P2/3B2Q1/P1P3P1/4R1K1 w - - 1 28
Not sure if AB engines can see the win with Qg5! move of white here. Quiet move, but forces a win due to zugzwang at the end.

As you can see on complete game below, Lc0 already saw a slight advantage at move 28 with +1.16 climbing to +2.57!.
Only on 34th move or 6 moves (12 plies) away did SF felt the loss probably because it only saw the zugzwang at the end of PV on 36th move.



Black is in complete zugzwang after 33. Bc2 of Lc0 and SF is forced to return materials to Lc0.
Current unreleased McCain still under going testing/tuning - source not yet published

single core, as other cores are busy,
first 6 moves of pv match what was played in game...

Code: Select all

dep	score	nodes	time	(not shown:  tbhits	knps	seldep)
 47	+0.31!	1.84G	21:41.13	Qg5! 
 46	+0.25 	1.66G	19:35.55	Qg5 Kf7 g4 Rg8 Kf2 fxg4 a4 a5 Kg3 Bf3 Kh4 Qe7 Qxe7+ Kxe7 Rb1 Rb8 f5 gxf5 Bxf5 Rf8 Bd3 Rg8 Kg3 Rb8 Rb3 Kf7 Kf4 Bc6 Kxg4 Bxa4 Rb1 Bd7+ Kg5 Rg8+ Kh4 Re8 Rxb6 Re6 Rb7 Ke8 Ra7 Rxh6+ Kg5 Rh2 Rxa5 h5 Rxc5 h4 Ra5 h3 Ra8+ Ke7 Rh8 Rf2 c5 
 46	+0.31!	1.59G	18:45.11	Qg5! 
 46	+0.22!	1.56G	18:24.49	Qg5! 
 46	+0.15!	1.52G	17:58.92	Qg5! 
 45	+0.09 	1.43G	16:53.07	Qg5 Kf7 g4 Rg8 Kf2 fxg4 a4 a5 Kg3 Bf3 Kh4 Qe7 Qxe7+ Kxe7 Rb1 Rb8 f5 gxf5 Bxf5 Rf8 Bd3 Rg8 Kg3 Rb8 Rb3 Kf7 Bxh7 Rh8 Bf5 Rxh6 Bxg4 Be4 e6+ Kf6 Rxb6 Rg6 Kf4 Bxc2 Rb7 Rxg4+ Kxg4 Kxe6 Kf4 Bxa4 Rb6+ Kf7 Ke5 d3 Rd6 Bb3 Rd7+ Ke8 Rxd3 B 
 45	+0.35!	1.39G	16:25.74	Qg5! 
 45	+0.22!	1.20G	14:11.98	Qg5! 
 45	+0.12!	1.09G	12:51.11	Qg5! 
 45	+0.06!	1.04G	12:19.89	Qg5! 
 44	  0.00 	1.02G	12:05.09	Qg5 Kf7 g4 Rg8 Kf2 fxg4 a4 a5 Kg3 Bf3 Kh4 Qe7 Qxe7+ Kxe7 Rb1 Rb8 f5 gxf5 Bxf5 Rf8 Bd3 Ke6 Bxh7 Kxe5 Bd3 Kf4 Rxb6 g3 Kh3 g2 Kh2 Re8 Rf6+ Kg4 Rg6+ Kf4 
 44	+0.12!	1.02G	12:01.64	Qg5! 
 44	+0.06!	1.00G	11:50.05	Qg5! 
 43	  0.00 	881.1M	10:27.35	Qg5 Kf7 g4 Rg8 Kf2 fxg4 Kg3 Bf3 a4 a5 Be2 Rf8 Bxf3 gxf3 Rf1 Ke8 Qg4 Rf5 Qxf3 Qxc4 Qa8+ Ke7 Qa7+ Ke8 Rf2 Qe6 Qxh7 Rg5+ fxg5 Qxe5+ Kf3 Qe3+ Kg2 Qxg5+ Kf3 Qf5+ Ke2 Qxc2+ Kf1 Qc1+ Kg2 Qg5+ Kf1 
 42	  0.00 	755.8M	8:58.94	Qg5 Kf7 g4 Rg8 Kf2 fxg4 Kg3 Bf3 a4 a5 Be2 Rf8 Bxf3 gxf3 Rf1 Ke8 Qg4 Rf5 Qxf3 Qxc4 Qa8+ Ke7 Qa7+ Ke8 Rf2 Qe6 Qxh7 Rg5+ fxg5 Qxe5+ Kf3 Qe3+ Kg2 Qxg5+ Kf3 Qf5+ Ke2 Qxc2+ Kf1 Qc1+ Kg2 Qg5+ Kf3 Qf5+ Kg3 Qg5+ 
 41	  0.00 	704.0M	8:22.09	Qg5 Kf7 g4 Rg8 Kf2 fxg4 Kg3 Bf3 a4 a5 Be2 Rf8 Bxf3 gxf3 Rf1 Ke8 Qg4 Rf5 Qxf3 Qxc4 Qa8+ Ke7 Qa7+ Ke8 Rf2 Qe6 Qxh7 Rg5+ fxg5 Qxe5+ Kf3 Qe3+ Kg2 Qxg5+ Kf3 Qf5+ Ke2 Qxc2+ Kf1 Qc1+ Kg2 Qg5+ Kf3 Qe3+ Kg2 
 40	  0.00 	618.5M	7:22.95	Qg5 Kf7 g4 Rg8 Kf2 fxg4 Kg3 Bf3 a4 a5 Be2 Rf8 Bxf3 gxf3 Rf1 Kg8 Rxf3 Qxc4 Qe7 Qf7 Qd6 Qf5 Qd5+ Rf7 Qa8+ Rf8 Qb7 Rf7 Qxb6 Qe4 Qd8+ Rf8 Qd7 Rf7 
 39	  0.00 	587.7M	7:01.47	Qg5 Kf7 g4 Rg8 Kf2 fxg4 Kg3 Bf3 a4 a5 Be2 Rf8 Bxf3 gxf3 Rf1 Kg8 Rxf3 Qxc4 Qe7 Qf7 Qd6 Qf5 Qd5+ Rf7 Qa8+ Rf8 
 39	+0.12!	582.3M	6:57.59	Qg5! 
 39	+0.06!	579.2M	6:55.44	Qg5! 
 38	  0.00 	505.9M	6:05.48	Qg5 Kf7 g4 Rg8 Kf2 fxg4 a4 a5 Kg3 Bf3 Be2 Rf8 Bxf3 gxf3 Qg4 Qxg4+ Kxg4 Ke6 Rf1 g5 fxg5 f2 g6 hxg6 Kg5 Rf5+ Kxg6 Rf4 h7 Rg4+ Kh5 Rg2 Kh6 Rh2+ Kg6 Rg2+ 
 37	+0.14!	441.3M	5:20.59	Qg5! 
 37	  0.00?	429.1M	5:12.11	Qg5 Kf7? 
 37	+0.19!	416.8M	5:02.69	Qg5! 
 37	+0.13!	409.5M	4:57.18	Qg5! 
 36	+0.07 	400.2M	4:50.40	Qg5 Kf7 g4 Rg8 Kf2 fxg4 a4 Bb7 Kg3 Bf3 a5 bxa5 Ra1 a4 Rxa4 a6 Ra5 Rc8 Ra1 Rg8 Re1 a5 Rb1 Ra8 Rb5 Qe7 Qxe7+ Kxe7 Rxc5 Ke6 Rc7 a4 c5 a3 Bc4+ Kf5 Rxh7 a2 Bxa2 Rxa2 Rf7+ Ke4 e6 Rxc2 e7 Rg2+ Kh4 
 36	+0.11!	396.1M	4:47.46	Qg5! 
 36	+0.02?	381.6M	4:36.89	Qg5 Kf7? 
 36	+0.14!	372.4M	4:30.08	Qg5! 
 35	+0.08 	365.5M	4:24.98	Qg5 Kf7 g4 Rg8 Kf2 fxg4 a4 Ba8 Kg3 Bf3 a5 bxa5 Ra1 a4 Rxa4 a6 Ra5 Rc8 Kh4 Kf8 Ra1 Re8 Re1 Qe7 f5 gxf5 Bxf5 a5 Bxg4 Qxg5+ Kxg5 Bxg4 Kxg4 a4 Ra1 Rxe5 Rxa4 Re2 
 35	+0.15!	359.1M	4:19.83	Qg5! 
 35	 -0.08!	345.0M	4:09.40	Qg5! 
 35	 -0.04!	344.8M	4:09.27	Qg5! 
 35	  0.00!	343.2M	4:08.17	Qg5! 
 35	+0.06!	341.6M	4:06.98	Qg5! 
 34	  0.00 	252.7M	3:03.76	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bc6 
 33	  0.00 	212.9M	2:34.71	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bc6 
 32	  0.00 	108.8M	1:19.06	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bc6 
 31	  0.00 	87.8M  	1:04.14	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bc6 
 30	  0.00 	47.6M  	0:35.16	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bc6 
 29	  0.00 	31.6M  	0:23.50	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bc6 
 28	  0.00 	26.0M  	0:19.47	Be2 Rd8 Qg5 Re8 a3 Rf8 Bd3 Kf7 Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 Qg3 Rg8 Be2 Be4 Bd3 Ba8 Be2 Be4 
 27	  0.00 	24.8M  	0:18.58	Be2 Rd8 Qg5 Re8 a3 Rf8 Bd3 Kf7 Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 Qg3 Rg8 Be2 Be4 Bd3 
 26	  0.00 	15.3M  	0:11.64	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bc6 
 25	  0.00 	12.0M  	0:09.20	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bc6 
 24	  0.00 	8.37M  	0:06.48	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bc6 
 23	  0.00 	5.55M  	0:04.32	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 Kh2 Kf7 Be2 Be4 Bd3 
 22	  0.00 	3.51M  	0:02.78	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 Kh2 Kf7 Be2 Be4 Bd3 
 21	  0.00 	2.22M  	0:01.84	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 Kh2 Kf7 Be2 Be4 Bd3 
 20	  0.00 	1.72M  	0:01.42	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 Kh2 Kf7 Be2 Be4 Bd3 
 19	  0.00 	975801	0:00.82	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 Kh2 Kf7 Be2 Be4 Bd3 
 18	  0.00 	738643	0:00.63	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 Kh2 Kf7 Be2 Be4 Bd3 
 17	  0.00 	382399	0:00.34	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 Kh2 Kf7 Be2 Be4 Bd3 
 16	  0.00 	169629	0:00.14	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 Kh2 Kf7 Be2 Be4 Bd3 
 15	  0.00 	125976	0:00.11	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 Kh2 Kf7 Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 
 14	  0.00 	104493	0:00.09	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 Kh2 Kf7 Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bc6 Be2 
 13	  0.00 	63524  	0:00.06	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bb7 Bf1 Be4 
 12	  0.00 	41125  	0:00.04	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bc6 
 11	  0.00 	34976  	0:00.03	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bc6 
 10	  0.00 	25762  	0:00.03	Be2 Be4 Bd3 Bc6 
  9	  0.00 	14502  	0:00.01	Be2 Bb7 Bf1 Bc6 
  8	+0.06 	5235    	0:00.00	Qg5 Bb7 Qh4 Re8 Kh2 Kf7 a3 Bc6 
  7	+0.18 	1923    	0:00.00	Qg5 Be4 a3 Bc6 Kh2 Bb7 a4 
  6	+0.36 	571      	0:00.00	Qg5 Be4 Kh2 Bb7 a3 
  5	+0.26 	387      	0:00.00	Qg5 a6 a3 Be4 Kh2 
  4	+0.31 	256      	0:00.00	Qg5 a6 Kh2 Be4 
  3	+0.12 	149      	0:00.00	Qg5 a6 Kh2 
  2	+0.97 	62        	0:00.00	Kh2 b5 cxb5 
  1	 -0.01 	30        	0:00.00	Kh2 
  0	# 

jp
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:54 am

Re: Playing the endgame like a boss !!

Post by jp » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:09 am

MikeGL wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:33 pm
I have posted this previously on a different thread and MikeB's 12-core took also minutes to find the correct moves...
Thanks, MikeGL & MikeB. I take it the evals in the game score are those of the engine that just made the move.

(This isn't so important, but I found that after 69... Kxh6, SF's eval is M60, but if you give this position to SF it's M17. I did this because I wondered about Lc's decision to sac the B with 70. Bc8 & 71.Bxg4, but now I wonder about CCC's version of SF. Why does their SF look weaker?)

Post Reply